+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to Get Sugar Shack Plans

Default Where to Get Sugar Shack Plans

I'm thinking of having a 40' wide X 20' long sugar shack built on a portion of a 40' X 80' poured foundation (already in place) for the 2024 season.

I'd love to have a timber frame sugar shack.

I would appreciate recommendations for where I might buy plans or have them designed.
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

Check out TimberFrameHQ.com. I ordered plans there, and when lumber prices come down, I might actually build it.

Do you want the plans so you can cut the frame yourself? I've been teaching a timber frame class for about 10 years now, and I have a VERY good student who took my class and the retiurned to serve as my reaching assistant. He just graduated from high school and is working on his own now. Great kid. He cut and sold 4 frames on his own this past summer and currently has 2 projects going in the 20x40 size.

He bought some software to design his frames. If you just want the plans he could draw them up for you. If you need the frame designed and cut, he's fully capable of that as well.

PM me if you're interested and I can give you more details.

Blair
    Last edited by bigschuss; 01-01-2023 at 03:30 PM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I wouldn't call a new construction 40x20 building a sugar "shack" especially since it will have a concrete floor. A shack implies that you don't have a concrete floor. I call mine a sugarhouse.

Are you thinking of a post & beam, or standard stick build? I think you can make rafters work with 2x10s by 16' on a 12:12 pitch.

Have fun!

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by CTSap4Maple View Post
    Check out TimberFrameHQ.com. I ordered plans there, and when lumber prices come down, I might actually build it.
    My plans came from timberframehq.com, they also put together a hardware package with all the specialty fasteners and concrete anchors. I was able to get a local sawyer with a portable mill to cut all my timbers so i'm ready to go as soon as the last drop of sap is boiled for the 2023 season.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

....Also check out

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/sugarhousedesign/

i
    t's a bit older, but still good info, and three example plans in the appendix.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Do you want the plans so you can cut the frame yourself? I've been teaching a timber frame class for about 10 years now, and I have a VERY good student who took my class and the retiurned to serve as my reaching assistant. He just graduated from high school and is working on his own now. Great kid. He cut and sold 4 frames on his own this past summer and currently has 2 projects going in the 20x40 size.

He bought some software to design his frames. If you just want the plans he could draw them up for you. If you need the frame designed and cut, he's fully capable of that as well.

PM me if you're interested and I can give you more details.

Blair
    I tried to send you the following private message, but got a message from MapleTrader that your storage space for messages is full so MapleTrader wouldn't send my private message.

You mentioned in a January 2023 post "He bought some software to design his frames. If you just want the plans he could draw them up for you. If you need the frame designed and cut, he's fully capable of that as well."

Please reply with contact details, ideally an email address, for this person. Thanks
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAgain View Post
    I tried to send you the following private message, but got a message from MapleTrader that your storage space for messages is full so MapleTrader wouldn't send my private message.

You mentioned in a January 2023 post "He bought some software to design his frames. If you just want the plans he could draw them up for you. If you need the frame designed and cut, he's fully capable of that as well."

Please reply with contact details, ideally an email address, for this person. Thanks
    I just emptied my Inbox. Thanks for the heads up. I'll send you a PM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread