+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting Dairy Barn to Sugar Shack

Default Converting Dairy Barn to Sugar Shack

I have a 30' X 95' dairy barn, built in 1950, that is used for two barn cats and storage and am wondering if it would be better to convert a portion to a sugar shack vs. building a separate sugar shack building.

I'd love any opinions on this and connections to those who have done this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

My opinion would be to convert a section into a syrup production area. Why spend the money on building something new if you already have a structure? How is the infrastructure of the barn, I assume there is power their and possibly water? Doing this could also allow you additional funds to be put towards equipment.

Again just my two cents.

Happy New Years to everyone!

Heck yeah. Use the barn You should be able to create whatever kind of sugar house you want, provided it is structurally sound. Maybe fun running the stack and pipe for the steam, but what you will save from building a separate building, you will be able to figure that out. If it is as good as what the picture shows that is a beautiful barn. Are you planning on using the upper or lower level?
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Seems like a great idea. You'll likely need to pour concrete to level the floor, the original gutters could likely house floor drainage. Have fun with it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'd mostly be concerned about fire hazard, particularly if you are wood fired. Just something about old barns that would make me nervous when it comes to hot embers, sparks, and cherry red stacks.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread