+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Tapping for winter 22–23

It's a 7" full press made my leader, right now it has a gear pump but I may switch it to air in the future, but it's magic just the way it is. I did take a look at the flue pan he had, it's in nice shape on the outside, it's a shame it was scorched, but with some pan acid I'm sure it would still make good syrup. It's 4 foot wide, too big for my operation, with my ro I'm only boiling a few hours a day on my 2x6. He still had the hoods too RO, vacuum pump, some tanks and releaser. I was having a terrible time with sediment using my 2cone filter. I filtered about 15 gallons the other day with the press before It was full, I followed leaders instructions for DE. The syrup was just really dirty for some reason. I had lots of sugar sand in the plumbing between the front and back pans. I even cleaned half way through and it was still bad, interesting to see how it changes from year to year. If I had a heated draw off tank in the future I'd love to streamline my filtering and bottling, I wonder if that would qualify for an energy conservation grant, lol. Something to think about.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Default 2023 stats

Ended my season making some delicious dark on 3/26. Biggest season yet for me since I started in 2018! Even though we got the least amount of snow in record since the 50s,
    and the warmest mean temp for Feb, the maple season was as long as all mine have been so far. 6 weeks. Tapped on 2/10 and started collecting 2/12. Log book has 21 pickups from 2/12 - 3/26. (more than I thought but things get so routine after a while you dont notice I guess)

360 taps (3 different woods)
    8695 gallons sap
    24 gal sap per tap.
    average sugar 1.7
    packed all my syrup heavy, so no accurate amount of gallons, but 150 estimated

I think a bigger RO or evaporator would help! Maybe just a bigger RO.... a 600 gallon sap day is 10 hours total for me with a 180gph RO and custom cdl 2x4!

WV Producers meeting this weekend May 19th 20th
    Kick off event with Dr. Abby Thursday evening Podcast/Zoom on one of her research projects
    Friday, Tubing Sanitation Workshop morning session
    3/16 tubing workshop at a producer’s sugarbush
    Saturday, Business Meeting, Banquet and awards for syrup and value added product entries
    Hope to see you there!
    Mark220maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

wish i could go! hopefully some of the sessions get posted online.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Webinar with Dr. Abby can be viewed anytime, her research on Red Maples
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789