+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugarbush Management Question

Default Sugarbush Management Question

I’ve been a hobby guy for 20 years, making about 20 gallons a season. I just moved and my new property also has maples. I’m looking for information on how to manage the woods. I think there are too many trees and I need to do some thinning. I’ll probably be here for a long time.

I’m in Grand Rapids, MI and looking for advice and/or someone to come out and walk it with me. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Bill
    20 years into this - Started with 8 paint cans and a borrowed turkey fryer
    100 taps / old school buckets / cinder block arch fired with natural gas / pair of 2x3 pans

I’ve been using the videos from Cornell and UVM Maple Research Center to assist in my thinning activities.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1HKAnyfYBOA
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4T8LuVH25PM
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

One of the simplest and best things to use as a starting point for thinning trees, is to look up at the crowns of the trees. If the tops are crowded then they need thinning to open them up. You want the tops open enough so that they can grow and expand, but not open too much so that the trees get lots of wind damage and you get too much undergrowth growing.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

What BAP said, but some notes:
    1. Leave some other species
    2. Don't open the canopy too much at a time. It's best to open just 1 side at a time, then as that side fills in the space, open another side.
    3. Opening too much at a time leaves the trees vulnerable
    4. Leave a range of age classes so you don't leave just the mature ones
    5. Be careful of beach, if you remove beach they will send up new beech from the roots over the entire drip line and can take over the whole area
    6. Follow Cornel recommended practices.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You might be able to get some on site advice from Jesse Randall of Michigan State University or if your state has outreach foresters.

Another option might be to contact your local county conservation district (sometimes called soil and water conservation district) and your local NRCS office to see what possibilities they might have to offer you
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Steinkraus Forest Management is a small forestry company in SW MI. http://www.steinkrausforestry.com/index.html
    Although they do not list Kent County as an area they serve, they do serve Allegan and Barry Counties directly south of you so it might be worth contacting them.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Thinning maples in a very dense maple forest is a good idea, the Moyers family at Laurelfork Sapsuckers thinned a woods and increased the sugar content, I was there when they was telling Dr. Abby about thinning and increasing sugar content, she was disappointed that they hadn’t kept better records of the increase! She said they know at Proctor it’s is good idea too thin, but also knows it hard to get a maple producer to cut any maple tree!
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread