+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How high is too high to tap a tree on lines?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    ... whatever pressure is lost in the tree by moving the tap up the trunk will be gained in the tube by that same amount of sap pressure there. This assumes 3/16 lines that keep the sap in them.
    Correct, but then you need to subtract frictional losses through the fittings and lines. 1 ft of sap theoretically equals 0.88 in Hg. In practice, it's usually less than that.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    ... Dr Tim will point out that I lost sap potential.
    No problem tapping up high if you need to do that to collect sap from certain trees or areas. It can alleviate the need to use sap ladders in some cases. Yes, the yield will be lower, but acceptable if this is the only way to do it or if the cost of doing it another way is prohibitive.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    No problem tapping up high if you need to do that to collect sap from certain trees or areas. It can alleviate the need to use sap ladders in some cases. Yes, the yield will be lower, but acceptable if this is the only way to do it or if the cost of doing it another way is prohibitive.
    You can solve all the above with a Clear Press. Let the season begin…<grin>
    Last edited by johnallin; 12-20-2022 at 03:45 PM.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

John, I think your clear press must be able to solve all kinds of problems. hehe
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Too high? Maybe, but some sap is better than no sap. Years ago I had one section where I had trees out beyond the end of my mainline that fell off in elevation. This was before I had vacuum on that section of my woods. I tapped high, even using an extension ladder in order to get the sap and tapping as high as 12-13' off the ground on the lowest trees.
    Later I added vacuum on my lines and in that section I lowered the tap height along with changing from 5/16 laterals to 3/16 laterals. The sap flowed quite well while on 26-27" vacuum. Those lower areas were actually pulling sap from below the mainline. I was sold on 3/16 with vacuum.
    My tests were not scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but I liked watching the sap flow uphill anywhere from 3' to 7' below the mainline.
    I have no flow numbers and Dr Tim will point out that I lost sap potential. My way of thinking was that I was getting decent sap flow at a much lower cost in tubing and fittings than if I'd done it the best way.
    Dave, are the 3/16 laterals the entire lateral, or is it: drop > 3/16 > 5/16 > mainline?

I have a nearly identical scenario. Only difference is I have no mainline so my Shurflo manifold has six tee'd off valves barbed to 5/16 sap lines. Ideally I would just extend to those lower trees by adding to two existing 5/16 lines that are only about 150-200ft with 12 taps each - and I was already on a ladder at the end of each of those. With my setup, what are your thoughts on adding a reducer on the end of the 5/16 lines and then running another 100ft or so of 3/16 at "normal" tapping height to reach another 10 taps per line?
    Last edited by MarquisVII; 04-05-2023 at 04:13 AM.
    Mark

2024 95 taps, 4040 RO build. 46 gallons syrup
    2023 51 taps on 5/16" Shurflo vacuum system; Homemade oil tank evap, Smokey Lake 2x4' Divided pan; 3x150GPD RO. 48.125 gallons syrup
    2016-2022 12 taps into buckets; 3 steam pans over cinder block arch, ~3.75gal syrup

SE Wisconsin
    43.3N

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12