+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How high is too high to tap a tree on lines?

Default How high is too high to tap a tree on lines?

Last year, my first year of tapping, I strung my lines at what I thought was a good height, but when I connected my drops, I basically had them straight up. At the time of installing the taps, I was standing in snow, and when I went to remove them after the snow had melted, it was all I could do to reach them.

Reading about the sap pressure in a tree, it is my understanding that the higher you tap on a tree, the lower the sap pressure. (I think there is a better term for it other than sap pressure). I thought perhaps part of the reason I did not get as much sap from each tree as expected, was because I tapped the trees too high up on the trunk.

This year when stringing new lines, I strung them a little lower on the tree trunks and will wrap the drops a little more around the tree to reduce their overall height from the ground.

After doing that, I came across this YouTube Video from CDL on the Precision Tapper. What I noticed watching the video was how high up the trees they were tapping. At times they were tapping even higher than I was last year. (I suspect they were doing that for slope reasons)

https://youtu.be/mJAjaxRkzoQ

This takes me to my question, when tapping with lines, how high is too high to tap on the tree trunk?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I want to point out one thing about that video, you are correct about the slope, and they are also using vacuum to pull sap. I had my first line up last year and had taps in with the highest at about 4.5 feet. This was to create slope. Most of my taps are at waist height or just a little bit higher or lower depending on where last years tap was.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Keep in mind that tapping too low could have your lines buried in snow, especially where you live. Ask me how I know?
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    Keep in mind that tapping too low could have your lines buried in snow, especially where you live. Ask me how I know?
    Actually I am a little afraid of that. I will be walking all of my lines at least a couple times a week and may have to help out in a few locations. There are a couple locations where the line spans an area with a ridge, which come tapping time, I may have to remove some snow.

99%+ of my lines, I have nothing to worry about.

So how do you know? Lol
    Last edited by Swingpure; 12-18-2022 at 03:32 AM.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

Take it from me. When the sap is flowing the last thing you have time for or want to do is shovel your sap lines out.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    This takes me to my question, when tapping with lines, how high is too high to tap on the tree trunk?
    The loss of head pressure from tapping high is minimal over the range normally used. If you tapped on a ladder, the head pressure might be noticeably less -- otherwise not really. That small amount of loss is probably offset by the fact that sugar content goes up as you move higher on the trunk (closer to the source of sugars -- the leaves). So overall it's mostly a wash, unless again you're tapping on a ladder. If you do that, it's presumably for a different reason than just to tap higher up.

Tapping is normally done from the height of the lateral line upwards to where it is comfortable to reach. Tapping well over your head is problematic for a couple of reasons. First, it is harder to do and far more tiring (heart has to work hard to pump blood up to your muscles when working above your head). Secondly, it is very difficult to make a good taphole when you're reaching high.
    bad technique.jpg

This is because the movement of the drill in-out when tapping over your head is hard to accomplish without putting a little arc on it. That up/down movement is what creates oval tapholes or drill bit scoring along the top edge of the taphole.
    scoring mark in taphole.jpg

Not such a big deal with gravity sap collection, but under vacuum, and particularly under high vacuum, that is a point where the taphole may leak.

The better approach is to examine the entire tapping band to find the appropriate place to put a taphole (another whole thread), make sure the dropline can reach that spot, take a stable stance and brace your elbow on the tree, place the drill on the chosen spot, then drill in/out in one quick motion with NO sideways or up/down movement imparted on the drill. If you still have a hard time making good tapholes, consider using an Accu-Tapper.
    proper tapping technique.jpg

As already mentioned, snow height is an important factor. You do NOT want to be shoveling your lateral lines (or mainlines) out of the snow during the season.

Two other considerations on taphole height. If you're using very good sanitation practices and have very good vacuum, tapping below the lateral is a good option, particularly for trees that have been heavily tapped or are growing slowly (big, old trees). Secondly, for people tapping with buckets, they'll often place the taphole at a convenient height to hang/retrieve a bucket, which falls within a pretty narrow height band. At the same time, bucket tappers tend to approach the tree from the same side all the time (again, due to convenience in picking up the buckets when collecting). This can result in cluster tapping. So even with buckets, be sure you're spreading the taphole around, both up and down and all around the stem.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 12-19-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have one section of maple trees that are in a cow pasture. In order to not have the cows grab a hold of my drop lines, some of my taps are 8'-9' up. I wish the cows weren't there but it's not my bush/trees/cows/field.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The loss of head pressure from tapping high is minimal over the range normally used. If you tapped on a ladder, the head pressure might be noticeably less -- otherwise not really. That small amount of loss is probably offset by the fact that sugar content goes up as you move higher on the trunk (closer to the source of sugars -- the leaves). So overall it's mostly a wash, unless again you're tapping on a ladder. If you do that, it's presumably for a different reason than just to tap higher up.

Tapping is normally done from the height of the lateral line upwards to where it is comfortable to reach. Tapping well over your head is problematic for a couple of reasons. First, it is harder to do and far more tiring (heart has to work hard to pump blood up to your muscles when working above your head). Secondly, it is very difficult to make a good taphole when you're reaching high.
    Attachment 22662

This is because the movement of the drill in-out when tapping over your head is hard to accomplish without putting a little arc on it. That up/down movement is what creates oval tapholes or drill bit scoring along the top edge of the taphole.
    Attachment 22663

Not such a big deal with gravity sap collection, but under vacuum, and particularly under high vacuum, that is a point where the taphole may leak.

The better approach is to examine the entire tapping band to find the appropriate place to put a taphole (another whole thread), make sure the dropline can reach that spot, take a stable stance and brace your elbow on the tree, place the drill on the chosen spot, then drill in/out in one quick motion with NO sideways or up/down movement imparted on the drill. If you still have a hard time making good tapholes, consider using an Accu-Tapper.
    Attachment 22664

As already mentioned, snow height is an important factor. You do NOT want to be shoveling your lateral lines (or mainlines) out of the snow during the season.

Two other considerations on taphole height. If you're using very good sanitation practices and have very good vacuum, tapping below the lateral is a good option, particularly for trees that have been heavily tapped or are growing slowly (big, old trees). Secondly, for people tapping with buckets, they'll often place the taphole at a convenient height to hang/retrieve a bucket, which falls within a pretty narrow height band. At the same time, bucket tappers tend to approach the tree from the same side all the time (again, due to convenience in picking up the buckets when collecting). This can result in cluster tapping. So even with buckets, be sure you're spreading the taphole around, both up and down and all around the stem.
    Thank you very much, this answers a number of questions, regarding tapping height and drilling practices. I like that you mentioned bracing your elbow, as last year in my first year of tapping, I found when I braced myself I had my best tapping results.

Thanks again for all of the expert advice and tips you give.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Too high? Maybe, but some sap is better than no sap. Years ago I had one section where I had trees out beyond the end of my mainline that fell off in elevation. This was before I had vacuum on that section of my woods. I tapped high, even using an extension ladder in order to get the sap and tapping as high as 12-13' off the ground on the lowest trees.
    Later I added vacuum on my lines and in that section I lowered the tap height along with changing from 5/16 laterals to 3/16 laterals. The sap flowed quite well while on 26-27" vacuum. Those lower areas were actually pulling sap from below the mainline. I was sold on 3/16 with vacuum.
    My tests were not scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but I liked watching the sap flow uphill anywhere from 3' to 7' below the mainline.
    I have no flow numbers and Dr Tim will point out that I lost sap potential. My way of thinking was that I was getting decent sap flow at a much lower cost in tubing and fittings than if I'd done it the best way.
    Last edited by maple flats; 12-21-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that whatever pressure is lost in the tree by moving the tap up the trunk will be gained in the tube by that same amount of sap pressure there. This assumes 3/16 lines that keep the sap in them.

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread