+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12v Deep cell battery recommendations

Default 12v Deep cell battery recommendations

I'm looking for deep cell battery recommendations for a 400 tap, Guzzler pump vacuum system on flat ground with about 1700' 3/4" mainline. My plan is to switch out the battery daily with a freshly charged battery. I would like something with something more than a 1 year warranty. I think a Guzzler pulls 14 amps under full load.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Is the guzzler pump a newer 24 volt model? If so you will need two 12V deep cycle batteries connected in series. The Guzzlers will draw much less than 14 amps, probably closer to 5 amps or less. Drawing sap under vacuum does not consume much power unless it is also being pumped uphill. I am setting one up later this week, will take some power measurements.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

It would be a 12V not the double lung. I grabbed the amp info from a spec sheet but that may include significant head. Screenshot 2022-12-14 130811.jpg
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Quote Originally Posted by Maple River Sugar View Post
    It would be a 12V not the double lung. I grabbed the amp info from a spec sheet but that may include significant head. Attachment 22654
    OK that is an older 12 volt motor which has not been sold by Bosworth for a few years. But I would guess it would draw the same total power, about 100 watts or less but current will be higher, about 8-10 amps. A typical class 29 deep cycle battery won't last long at that rate, you will need to parallel up a second battery to give you enough run time for a 24 hour run.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging

Another option instead of switching out batteries daily would be to use a small generator and a battery charger. We have four locations with 12 volt pumps with a small battery charger and an older 12 volt battery at each location. We have two, 700 watt, propane inverter generators that each power two of the battery chargers. This eliminates the need to take the batteries in at night for charging and keeps them at full power all the time. Each battery charger only draws 2 amps so each generator can easily power two locations. We use less than one, 30# propane tank per season per generator. The nice thing about this setup is the batteries are always fully charged should a generator stop for some reason. Using propane eliminates the need to refill the generators everyday also. We have each location set up with a bypass to allow sap to flow naturally so we can remove the pumps when the temps drop below freezing.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    OK that is an older 12 volt motor which has not been sold by Bosworth for a few years. But I would guess it would draw the same total power, about 100 watts or less but current will be higher, about 8-10 amps. A typical class 29 deep cycle battery won't last long at that rate, you will need to parallel up a second battery to give you enough run time for a 24 hour run.

Dave
    Dave, would one of your solar panel setups be able to keep up with the two batteries or this pump?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

It could but you would need a good sized solar panel array, probably 500 watts or more with two batteries or sets of batteries paralleled up. Maybe others have tried this and can comment. Last year was tough on solar setups, we had several multi day runs that did not allow batteries to recharge fully. I had to run 600’ extension cords and battery chargers to supplement my 200 watts of solar panels.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm

I'm using 400 watts of solar panels to charge 2-100 amp hour deep cycle batteries and run one of the newer 24 volt single diaphram guzzlers. Those panels can keep up for the most part, but you do have to keep an eye on the voltage during the long rainy runs when you don't see much sunshine. Once last season I pulled the batteries to top them off with a charger back at the sugarhouse. My panels are also in a wooded area (good sun, but not 100%) since I don't have any clearings near the pump and sap tank, if you are in full sun it'd be even better. This year I'm upgrading to lithium iron phosphate batteries that can discharge more without damage to the battery and weigh a whole lot less.

Test results: I tested a 24 volt single diaphragm guzzler while pumping a decent flow of water and pulling 27" of vacuum - electrical current was 3 amps. I would expect to see something in that range in the sugarbush too.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    Another option instead of switching out batteries daily would be to use a small generator and a battery charger. We have four locations with 12 volt pumps with a small battery charger and an older 12 volt battery at each location. We have two, 700 watt, propane inverter generators that each power two of the battery chargers. This eliminates the need to take the batteries in at night for charging and keeps them at full power all the time. Each battery charger only draws 2 amps so each generator can easily power two locations. We use less than one, 30# propane tank per season per generator. The nice thing about this setup is the batteries are always fully charged should a generator stop for some reason. Using propane eliminates the need to refill the generators everyday also. We have each location set up with a bypass to allow sap to flow naturally so we can remove the pumps when the temps drop below freezing.
    Gary
    Whats the brand names of the Generators you got??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast