+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Order of events in sanitation of 3/16" lines

Default Order of events in sanitation of 3/16" lines

I'm somewhat confused as to the best method of sanitation my 3/16' lines:

I'm on vacuum and have 3 lines coming into the vacuum with about 80 taps, all on 3/16".

I plan on using my vacuum to draw in Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA....I know, I live in Canada). I will take the last drop (furthest from my vacuum pump) and place it into a bucket of IPA, turn on the vacuum pump and allow the line to fill with IPA and then cap the lines at the vacuum pump and at the last drop by placing the spile into the nest/holder. Then continue down the line removing each successive drop from the tree and using my pressure gun to fill each drop and then placing it to the holder/nest.

OR do I place all the drops (spiles) into the nest/holder and then place the last drop into a bucket of IPA, turn on the vacuum and allow the main line fill up with IPA under negative pressure. Then remove the spiles from the nest/holder and use my pressure gun to fill the drops with IPA and then replace the drop/spile into the holder nest??

Thanks for any support
    2024 - 20 Taps Buckets - 97 taps - 3/16" - Drops 5/16" - Vacuum - TBD
    2023 - 20 Taps Buckets - 80 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" - Vacuum - 136 liters of syrup
    2022 - 20 Taps Buckets - 80 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" - Vacuum - 100 liters of syrup
    2021 - 20 Taps Buckets - 40 taps - 3/16" - Drops 3/16" tubing - Gravity - 25 liters of syrup
    2020 - 15 Taps Buckets - 5 liters syrup - Propane Turkey Frying Pan
    Thor 18" x 54" - 2021
    Nano RO-2022
    Shurflo 4008 Vacuum
    Barrie, Ontario CANADA

I prefer to pull all spiles from top down, with pump on pulling line dry. Then I pump cleaning solution UP each line, capping each spile after solution flows out of it for 10 -30 seconds and then moving up to the next and repeating until entire line is 100% full. Let sit to maximize contact time (hours, even a full day) and then drain using same top down pull line dry technique. I coil and remove my tubing on a spooler i built each year due to location of my lines. Here in USA we cannot use IPA. Videos below.

https://youtu.be/FUrzZQOcyb4
    https://youtu.be/bmco0vR-Cck
    https://youtu.be/I9ZoGFDqLqE
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

For my 50 & 100 tap runs on a diaphragm pumps, I pull the last tap on each lateral, turn the pump around and flush with tap water. After verifying there's been a few minutes and watching the sludge run out the end of the lateral. I plug the last tap back into the tee cup, turn the pump back around to pull, then go back out and work my way down each lateral pulling the taps out of the cup and letting the pump suck the drops dry. After the first year rt two I have found it best to do this when you finish boiling and not after some sap has sat in your lines all summer.

I flushed 900' of pump line & 800' mainline connected to about 2 1/2 miles of 3/16 yesterday. Similar setup but I have a fitting with two check valves, one for my garden hose, one for my oil less air compressor. I connect it to the end of the pump line, which is connected to the mainline. Before I start I go pull the last tap on each lateral ( 20 laterals) and by the time I turn on the hose and the compressor and get down to the sugar bush, air 6 water is blasting out the end taps, some of which are 5-600
    up the hill from the mainline. The air water pulsing makes a "scrubbing action" It also shows you any leaks. I was able to fix a few leaks and marked the others with surveyors tape. After about two hours in the woods runnin up & down the hill on each lateral ( I'm 48- be 49 next week, whew this is gettin old- I'm sore today) I noticed straight water, no air. so I boogied back to the sugar shed and found my compressor had came unplugged, I thought I'd burned up my compressor motor whew. Anyways, plenty of ways to skin the cat. Especially with shurflos, they are great I have 5 of em in use.
    Last edited by bmbmkr; 12-16-2022 at 09:26 PM.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Thanks for the link Dr.
    Can't wait to be able to use IPA -hear it works great up North.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Thanks for the link Dr.
    Can't wait to be able to use IPA -hear it works great up North.
    It is what I consider a "second tier" sanitization strategy (in terms of net economic gain). Not as good as new drops/new spouts, bleach cleaning, or CV use. It is better than some other sanitizers IF USED PROPERLY. https://mapleresearch.org/pub/1019sanitation-2/

If/when IPA is accepted in the U.S., producers may have to make some modifications in their collection systems to allow its use. In particular, IPA is not particularly kind to rubber, PVC, tygon or plexiglass. Attached photo shows what happens. Top is regular milkhose, bottom is milkhose after IPA exposure.
    milkhose - IPA.jpg

Until it is accepted, it is important to keep in mind that IPA use to clean tubing systems is still illegal in the U.S.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 12-19-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    It is what I consider a "second tier" sanitization strategy (in terms of net economic gain). Not as good as new drops/new spouts, bleach cleaning, or CV use. It is better than some other sanitizers IF USED PROPERLY. https://mapleresearch.org/pub/1019sanitation-2/

If/when IPA is accepted in the U.S., producers may have to make some modifications in their collection systems to allow its use. In particular, IPA is not particularly kind to rubber, PVC, tygon or plexiglass. Attached photo shows what happens. Top is regular milkhose, bottom is milkhose after IPA exposure.
    Attachment 22661

Until it is accepted, it is important to keep in mind that IPA use to clean tubing systems is still illegal in the U.S.
    If I understand your previous posts, UVM does not use sanitizers and just has a process of replacing lines, fittings, and spouts, on a rotating, regular basis. Is this correct!

Thanks
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    If I understand your previous posts, UVM does not use sanitizers and just has a process of replacing lines, fittings, and spouts, on a rotating, regular basis. Is this correct!
    In most of our bush we use CV spouts, no cleaning, and replace drops only when the tubing or fittings start to fail or we have some type of experiment we want to do. Some sections have drops over 10 yrs old.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

by "replacing drops" I assume you are replacing spiles PLUS tees, yes?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

+ Reply to Thread