+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damaged tree-tap or no?

Default Damaged tree-tap or no?

This is a tree which was damaged in the past few months. The half of the crotch which came off is on the east side of the tree. I have tapped it before on the north side, moving westward for two seasons (two taps each season). The pictures of the tap holes are from the previous season (2022) and appear to be closing nicely. I'm curious as to what other folks' thoughts are on tapping it for the upcoming season and your reasonings. Don't tap? One tap? Two taps? If I tap it, I would continue my tapping pattern of moving westward so to stay away from the damaged side.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/041o...ta1EHsvvFohCeA
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

I will be interested in the answer. If I have a tree like that, I choose not to tap it. The rule I have been following is if it looks unhealthy or damaged I do not tap it. If the consensus comes back that it is okay to tap it, I might add a few more taps.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Tap it, you might not have the chance next year.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

its dying anyway, might as well get what you can out of it now

Daniel I would go ahead and tap it while you can. From the looks of the tree, you really won't have too much longer.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

It seems that this tree is mature in age, declining in health, around 24 in dia.

So I would conclude that you may as well tap it and could still get several years of sap production. Given its size, I don't think tapping will significantly impact it's remaining life. If, however, the tree is on someone else's property then I would take a more conservative approach.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The tree appears to have several issues...including a possible lightning strike years ago, some dieback and decay, and intertwining branches, all of which contribute to its declining nature. Growing on a lawn and near a road/path also aren't helpful due to soil compaction and getting hit by lawnmowers. Regardless of those things, trees can surprise you at times and this one could take several years (decades) to die.

If it were a highly prized tree for some reason or as Ken said, growing on someone else's property, I'd leave it alone.

If it's your own tree and you don't really care one way or the other, I'd tap it, but only one tap and take care in the placement to be sure you hit good wood. Typically you "adjust" the diameter of trees based upon stem/crown wounds, so although it may be 24+" dbh, the "adjusted" size is considerably smaller than that.

The alternative philosophy if you have observed it fading fast would be to heavily tap it given that it'll be firewood within a short time anyhow.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread