+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cupola with a hood?

Default Cupola with a hood?

Planning stages for my sugarhouse build. Would like a hood for preheating sap & generating hot water for the house. I like the look of a cupola with windows for steam exhaust. Do any of you run the steam exhaust into the cupola and out the windows, or do most just go thru the roof with a roof jack for the hood? Is there a downside to just running the hood exhaust into the cupola?
    Marty, Sam, Henry, Jim, Brandi
    Richmond, VT

--
    2021: 49 bucket taps, 50 tubing, 8 gallons. Closed valve, burned front pan ended season early
    2022: 49 bucket taps, 50 tubing, 24 gallons. New front pan!

We built our sugarhouse with a cupola because we originally didn't have a steam hood. When we installed the steam hood, we vented it through the roof because of the amount of steam that is generated. We still use the cupola to vent steam that is emitted from the syrup pan as our hood extends over the syrup pan, but is not connected to the pan. Although a considerable amount of steam from the syrup pan goes into the hood, there is still some steam that does not and that is expelled out of the cupola. I think it is better to have the hood exhaust outside of the cupola to minimize the amount of steam in sugarhouse. We don't find it necessary to have the cupola doors fully open with the steam hood exhausting through the roof.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I had my cupola in year 1 of my sugarhouse, no hood, in year2 I added the hood and ran the steam stack into the cupola. Then 7 years later I got my 3x8 pan set which came with 2 steam stacks, I continued venting it into the cupola because I liked how it looked and functioned. I had my steam stacks both suspended from in the cupola. My hoods had 2 stacks 15" diameter that went up towards the cupola and terminate about 3' below the cupola, then in the cupola I had 2 stacks 13" that hung down and into the 2 15" stacks below. The overlap was about a foot. This way I could raise the hood when needed and the stacks just overlapped more.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have my steam hood stack running up into the cupola and see no downside at all.

Works just fine and allows me to easily remove the stack when I need to lift the hood for clean-up.
    The stack is about 10' tall and sits on a stub at to top of the hood, I lift it off at the end of the season.
    The hood - with preheater installed - is on a block and tackle rope lift so I can lift to clean flue pan.

The cupola doors are hinged at the top, swinging out at the bottom.
    This keeps rain and snow out, I'd post a pic but we can't do that anymore...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

This thread gives me an idea, depending on your goal.
    If you are mainly looking for the "look" on the outside, just run the steam hood stack up through as you would normally.
    Then just plop a cupola up there, over the stack (as opposed to having to cut the main roof open).
    But you wouldn't get the interior look when you look up at the ceiling... so if you want that this idea wouldn't help, but is a significant shortcut if you're not worried about seeing the cupola from the interior.
    Just a thought. Don't know how well it would work.

That works as long as you always keep the doors open - or don’t have any at all.
    I think it’s probably easier to just cut the cupola in and eliminate one roof penetration.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Thanks for all the good ideas! Didn’t realize pictures are no longer allowed. I’ll go look in older posts for sugarhouse design for more ideas.
    Marty, Sam, Henry, Jim, Brandi
    Richmond, VT

--
    2021: 49 bucket taps, 50 tubing, 8 gallons. Closed valve, burned front pan ended season early
    2022: 49 bucket taps, 50 tubing, 24 gallons. New front pan!

Quote Originally Posted by m2salmon View Post
    Thanks for all the good ideas! Didn’t realize pictures are no longer allowed. I’ll go look in older posts for sugarhouse design for more ideas.
    Pictures are allowed, but the software for this site won’t allow the picture posting feature to work anymore. Unfortunately, the owner of this website doesn’t seem interested in fixing it. If you want to post pictures you need to put them on a picture hosting site, then put the link to them in your post on here.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I also have my stack running into the cupola. The only drawback is the “rain” I get inside the sugarhouse below the cupola. Hot steam on the cold cupola roof and you create a lot of condensation even with the cupola doors open. Solutions, either wear a hoodie or learn where to stand to avoid the drips.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

+ Reply to Thread