+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ohio journals and plans

Hybrid View

Default Ohio journals and plans

It's a solid cold snap here in Ohio this mid November day and it's got me thinking Maple Syrup. I thoght I'd start the discussion on what we are all doing in preperation and what plans we have for the upcoming season.

I took down a lot of my 3/16 lines to get timber out last spring and have to put them back up and asses damage and repair. I am still deciding if I will reduce my tap count or not. After repeated calls from the FDA about inspections I decided I was closing shop to selling syrup. I will only make for personal use, family and Friends. I will give it all away and just be happy to bring enjoyment to those I do. So it would make sense to reduce taps, but I have a feeling that if it's available it will get taken. I never made much money anyway and just paid expenses for the most part. I suppose if someone wants to donate to my charity that will be accepted (oh yeah, I do accually run a 501 (c) 3 charity, but not Maple related).

I thought I would forego early tapping but my stock is almost gone and people are wanting syrup, so there may be some december syrup made.

I think I'll restretch lines and check for damage in the next week and then order supplies.

What is everyone elses plans?
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

All my lines are up, repaired and tight and my shack and tanks all cleaned and set up. I gave in to temptation and tapped my 50 early taps and had my first collection run over night ( i let the first day run on the ground). Looks like 45-50 gallons in the tank. I will sweeten the pan this afternoon and start making syrup tomorrow. I may get a small draw today if sugar content is good. It didn't start running until 1:00 PM and froze by 8:00Pm, so it ran hard for a few hours. Looks like the next three days will be good. Down to last bottle of last years, so ready for new syrup. Hoping everyone has a good season. My main bush will get tapped in 2-3 weeks.

This is a good run for early season, I hope that is a good omen. I am all 3/16 natural vacuum
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

How’s the sap flowing? I think I might tap after the warm weather next week.

"Redbean
    How’s the sap flowing? I think I might tap after the warm weather next week. "

It's been great, ny best early season start ever. I have boiled 5 straight days and right at 3 gallons of syrup. Getting 50-60 gallons of sap a day out of the 50 taps. Looks like it will continue next week. Good flavor profile and pretty good sugar content for early, around 1.5%
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

It's been a crazy January for sure. More like my February should be. I will probably end up making close to or just over 10 gallons of syrup off my 50 early taps. This was the year I decided to slow up a little and not go full bore. I set a goal of 10 - 12 gallons for the season for personal use and family and friends. I haven't even tapped the main woods and I am almost there. I have 100 taps that I am not sure I will even use. If I only had someone close that could use it I'd tap them and give the sap away, but I don't know anyone that would use it.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Yeah it’s been a good start so far. I tapped 110 on 1/20 and by 1/28. I made already a little under 10 gallons. It’s been about 60-1 for me this year. We should get a couple nice runs Sunday-Tuesday here. Hopefully I can get closer to my goal this year.

It’s been a weird year that’s for sure. I think this Sunday and Monday will be my last day cooking for the year. Off of 110 taps we have made 34.5 gallons thus far. It’s pretty crazy that it is 78 degrees and all my lines are still running. This drop to 30 tonight and the freeze tomorrow should hopefully get a good last run or two. I think the new normal is to tap early. ✌️

Yeah, I am just going to be ready by January 1 from now on. My sugar was even good late January this year. I made 18 gallons and quit, don't know how much I could of made, but I quit on Feb. 14th. That is usually when I am just getting into prime runs.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread