+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap Transfer Pumps -- Let's Get Specific

I use a: [Lanchez 1 HP Shallow Well Pump,Garden Pump, Portable Stainless Steel Water Transfer Draining Irrigation Jet Pump for Water Removal, Lawn Fountain Pump 1294 GPH 147 Feet Height] to move sap from my collection barrels onto the truck and from there into my holding tank.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Thanks for reviving this thread everyone!

One thing is clear. I owe it to the maple world this year to measure the official flow rate of my food grade 5 gallon pails powered by food grade elbow grease.

Bigschuss: You said the following: "Just my 2 cents, do your grandkids a favor and find a food safe pump. They are easy to find and really not that much." Can you link to some of your favorite inexpensive food-grade pumps?

Hi Andy. Well, I don't have favorites as I only need and use one, and it has worked for me over the years. I bought it about 10 years ago based on a recommendation right here on this forum on a thread I found just like this one.

Here's the pump:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GX34LF5...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Looks like it's discontinued. For my 90 tap operation this size is adequate. Forgot how much it was...I recall $140 or so back then? Don't know if that's inexpensive or not? To me it was. Seems like there are plenty of options out there for food grade or food safe pumps in this category. Maybe the problem is for the professionals and the large volume hobbyists these small beer brewing pumps are not sufficiently sized. I get that. I made that comment in Swingpure's thread as, like me, he's a small volume hobbyist.

I am certainly no expert. I just wouldn't personally use a non food-safe or food-grade pump off the HF shelf in my sap. But if somebody where so inclined, I recall the important thing to look for is an impeller that's not cast. That and proper cleaning and it's probably fine.
    Last edited by bigschuss; 12-10-2022 at 05:40 AM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

That's a helpful addition to the thread, thanks!

I had seen the chugger pumps and they are very good brewing pumps and there are some knockoff food grade ones that are fairly inexpensive.

All of the ones I saw were 115v and I was concerned if you could use them outside while it was raining or snowing. I am looking to see if there are any 12v ones, but I have not found them yet.

I could get 115v power to two collection locations, but not to the main one.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 12-10-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I have been researching this topic for about 5 years before finally pulling the trigger on my first sap pump, Which of course was a super expensive pump. Food grade certification and fast transfer speed were my two important factors. This pump is super fast and comes with the NSF/Ansi certifications. I power it by an outlet at my sugar shack and a generator mounted on my trailer when at my collection locations.

The same NPE pump is for sale on the CDL website and used for RO infeed pumps?. I went for the TEFC motor option instead of the ODP, also stepped up the HP from 1/2hp to 3/4hp, which raised the price quite a bit but seemed worth it since the pump will likely be exposed to lots of moisture, snow and rain during the season. The exact model for that option is 1ST1D4D4

Here is their manual that explains the differences in the models and their number coding system.

I toyed around with the idea of custom making my own pump. Using the same motor from the Wx10 similar to this pump that tons of people use and adding this stainless pump head which is about $1300(Crazy right?)
    1STFRMB4F
    Last edited by NhShaun; 12-19-2022 at 12:43 PM.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    I have been researching this topic for about 5 years before finally pulling the trigger on my first sap pump, Which of course was a super expensive pump. Food grade certification and fast transfer speed were my two important factors. This pump is super fast and comes with the NSF/Ansi certifications. I power it by an outlet at my sugar shack and a generator mounted on my trailer when at my collection locations.

The same NPE pump is for sale on the CDL website and used for RO infeed pumps?. I went for the TEFC motor option instead of the ODP, also stepped up the HP from 1/2hp to 3/4hp, which raised the price quite a bit but seemed worth it since the pump will likely be exposed to lots of moisture, snow and rain during the season. The exact model for that option is 1ST1D4D4

Here is their manual that explains the differences in the models and their number coding system.

I toyed around with the idea of custom making my own pump. Using the same motor from the Wx10 similar to this pump that tons of people use and adding this stainless pump head which is about $1300(Crazy right?)
    1STFRMB4F
    That is a great pump. It is $1240 Cdn on the CDL website.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Thank you for the information on that stainless pump. That would certainly do the trick. I don't think I can get the better half on board for that this year but glad to see a potable water pump does exist and it looks like that one would move some sap. I will have to stick with my little one for this year.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Quote Originally Posted by LMP Maple View Post
    Thank you for the information on that stainless pump. That would certainly do the trick. I don't think I can get the better half on board for that this year but glad to see a potable water pump does exist and it looks like that one would move some sap. I will have to stick with my little one for this year.
    Any pump is better than dealing with buckets in my book. I still can't believe i waited until my 7th season to actually buy a pump to move sap around.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

How bout hoses? What does everyone hook their transfer pump up to? Garden hose? Clear braided hose?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast