+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do the fall colours predict sap flow in the spring

Default Do the fall colours predict sap flow in the spring

The fall colours have been spectacular this year with the perfect temperatures, sunshine and rainfall. The best it has been maybe in decades.

Do those perfect conditions translate into good sap flow in the spring?

You can see one of my lines in the bottom left corner.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/003S...bHv2q6zeYKfQ3w
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The answer probably ranges from NO to VERY LITTLE.

I actually have a dataset that encompasses a large number of meteorological variables (average monthly temps, precipitation, drought, snowfall, etc.) and a bunch of biological variables (seed production, tree health, etc.), which includes spring green-up and fall-color development as well as sap sugar content and sap yield for the past 40 yrs. That's one of the beauties of UVM PMRC...we have done measurements for a long period of time, and there are lots of other studies done at our site that we have access to the data for. We were one of the first sites in the National Phenology Network. I've done a little dabbling with the data, but it is a hugely complex analysis. Not sure I'll have time to actually do all the work before I retire. If not, I'll hand it off to someone else.

The initial set of results indicates that there's not a lot that influences sap yield other than weather at the time of sap flow. Temperature and moisture at that time are critical. As far as sap sugar, there are several things that have an influence, but the relationships aren't strong, with an r-squared of 0.2-0.4 (so 20-40% of the variation between something being explained by the other). Everything we've found are negative relationships, meaning that we can't really push sap sugar higher (it is probably mostly genetically controlled), but these things can act to depress sugar content. In other words, the engine size (photosynthetic capacity) of a tree is pre-determined, but things like drought, hot temperatures, stress, etc. can act to reduce the output of the photosynthetic engine or the use of the energy (sugar) that is produced.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread