+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pan thickness

Hybrid View

Default Pan thickness

I've been looking at pans on line and have found they range from 18 to 24 gauge. Is it better to go with the thicker or thinner. If I remember correctly the lower the gauge number the thicker the metal.

Most commercial pans are 20 or 22 ga. You are correct, the lower the number, the thicker the metal. The ticker the metal the poorer the heat transfer. It's a balance between strength and heat transfer. My last pan set was ordered by me, custom made. It was 22 ga. Excellent heat transfer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Most commercial pans are 20 or 22 ga. You are correct, the lower the number, the thicker the metal. The ticker the metal the poorer the heat transfer. It's a balance between strength and heat transfer. My last pan set was ordered by me, custom made. It was 22 ga. Excellent heat transfer.
    Good to hear that 22 ga is good, that is what my pan will be made of.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

Thank you for the replies

+ Reply to Thread