+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If I Could Turn Back Time—-Tissues Required

Default If I Could Turn Back Time—-Tissues Required

Just thirteen months ago,we brought a beautiful long haired grey tabby kitten into the house. Several months in,like just before Christmas he started having seizures,they told us we would get three years probably. With medications have been able to handle it. My wife originally picked him,but he quickly became my grandson,and we were inseparable,he followed me everywhere,just like a dog would. First thing I would see in the morning when I got up,run outside ahead of me to play with the other cats at the barn. He would come to me immediately from anywhere within ear range when I would call his name. This past Monday was the worst day of my life. I was heading out for my afternoon bus run,he ran out the door ahead of me and sat on the step. I pet him good bye,and headed up the driveway. He didn’t run ahead of me as per normal,or everything would have been okay. I have kicked myself over and over and over again for not looking back over my shoulder before I climbed into the bus. You can guess what happened as my Father carried him down to the house,where he died in my arms after I got home. My wife told me quit blaming myself,but I can’t help it,as I knew what he was like and should have checked. I am sure I am depressed now,as I didn’t eat that night,and very little since. Sleep is pretty much non existent,I wake up from dreams of him sitting beside the bus waiting for me. Certainly a piece of me died with him.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Bruce; That is a really sad story. The most comforting thing I can say is that is sounds like your cat had a wonderful life with you and family.
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

I am trying real hard to see though the tears to write this, Bruce. I do know how you feel cause we lost one of our dogs last fall, tore me up. All I can say is it sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. I am sure others may have told you it will get better in time. It does, but it still hurts. I'll say a special prayer for you tonight. You can do that too it helps.
    Last edited by Pdiamond; 09-14-2022 at 08:30 PM.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Cats that act like dogs are amazing animals.

We have two Devon Rex Cats and they both act like dogs. We worry about them all the time.

Rather than to understandably be sad about it, you have to take comfort in yourself for providing the home, being a companion and trying as hard as you did and making it work.

Just the act of one family of life letting another family of life know it is its friend is EXTREMELY powerful no matter how ephemeral it is.

Celebrate it for what it was, even though it did not last for as long as all healthy people would have liked it to.
    Last edited by Sugar Bear; 10-27-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

+ Reply to Thread