+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel washer

Default Barrel washer

What do you find works best for washing empty SS barrels?
    I've done it by removing the top bung, set the barrel on my elevated platform, open bung end down and barely off the edge of the platform, then spray copious amounts of hot water in, using a spray nozzle. It has worked since about 2009 when I got my first barrels, but it can get messy, especially in cold weather.
    Does anyone know of a moderately priced automated barrel washer? I have see one or 2 but I think they were homemade. Do I need to fabricate my own. The ones I did see turned the barrel at a moderate speed, holding it at about 30 degrees upward, bung down, and water was sprayed in continuously, likely both were hot water. I think one caught the water and recirculated it, the other sent the wter to drain and pumped fresh hot water in.
    Ideas please.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use one similar to this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/22394795666...mis&media=COPY

So far it is mounted on bottom side up milk crate. Going to go on a stainless table soon. Feed it with a stainless sump pump from a my 10 gallon draw off tank. I run 140° water through it. If I clean drum right after emptying it does a great job
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

This is the pump I feed my washer with : https://www.harborfreight.com/34-hp-...kaAn_aEALw_wcB
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

You say you run 140F water, the manual says max temp 95F. You don't have any issues? How long have you been using that pump?/
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do like the looks of the spray nozzle. I think I'll get one. Thanks.
    I'm not so sure about the pump you specified.

I do like the looks of the spray nozzle. I think I'll get one. Thanks.
    I'm not so sure about the pump you specified.

I currently use an adjustable hose nozzle (set on stream) and pump using a 3.1 gpm 120v diaphragm pump, pushing water thru a tankless water heater, thus only cold water thru the pump. I might switch and use my Wayne 1HP SS pump for better flow pressure, but the tankless heater couldn't heat it that fast. Now it only gets 105F at 3.1 gpm. I may need to use a separate holding tank and recirculate until I get about 125F which is the max temp the heater can do. Otherwise I might need to get a water heater that can get hotter, but I think 125 would work if the current 105 doesn't.
    At 105 it seems to clean well, but I just want something that is simpler, at my age, I've gotten soaked a few times too many!

Dave, I have heard a lot of good things about those spray nozzles and read quite a few reviews on them, all good. I don't think you would get as soaked with one as its alll contained in the barrel. I am only guessing as I have never used one. By the way how are you doing.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Been washing drums (plastic 5s, Dr Pepper, 15 gallon beer kegs and 40 gallon drums) with that pump for about 4 shears. No problems so far
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

I made my own spray nozzle out of brass. My water is 140+ degrees and it works great. Word of caution with some of the spray balls available online. Check the thread size. The one referenced on ebay is BSPT not NPT and they are not interchangeable.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast