+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 16x16 Sugar House Build. Here we go again! Post pics as I go...

Default 16x16 Sugar House Build. Here we go again! Post pics as I go...

Hey everyone.

Well, this post is a long time coming... If you haven't checked out my last sugar house build look at the link in my signature below. Quick background story. I built a 12x16 shack in 2012 and had a blast. All the time in the world with no kids
    We moved 5 years ago since the family grew so we had to leave the shack behind.. I still kept making sugar, but only tapped 14 trees and I've been using my electric beer brewing pot to do so. Fun, but not the same...
    So, finally, 2 kids and 5 years later (and with lumber prices finally down) I'm ready to build another one! And of course I have to go bigger and better now since I have a family!
    I dug the 21 12"x48" footings last fall to save some time. I'll post pics of the progress as I go!

Specs:
    - 16x16 sugar house
    - Rough sawn Hemlock siding (pine last time)
    - 8x21 deck on the left
    - 16x5 deck in the front
    - 6' deep timber-framed overhang in the front as well
    - 8x16 lean-to on the right for wood
    - 3x6 cupola

Unfortunately uploading images still don't work so check out the link below!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rF2ZGBWqNGRnoX4o9
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 07-17-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Great to hear! Looking forward to progress updates!
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

Still getting the error on upload. I think its just an old site format that doesnt work anymore.

For now, check out my link below. ill add pictures as I go!

Last edited by WoodButcher; 07-17-2022 at 02:02 PM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    Pictures coming soon once I figure out why I keep getting an error on uploads.
    Same for a lot of people (including me). I can't fix the problem. My "moderation" duties are simply to pass on user messages to the site owner. Best approach until it is fixed (if ever) is to use a photo sharing site and put in a link.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Nice, keep us posted. Looks like a nice plan.
    Getting kids interested in maple is a huge plus.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It's coming along nicely so far and looks like you have some help from a kiddo, or at least some company. I would have had a really hard time leaving that other beautiful sugarhouse behind when i moved. I will be following along to see the progress.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Looks great. Those will be memories that you and your children will never forget. Both building the sugarhouse and using it.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Thanks guys. This time around it's a lot more meaningful with my kids being involved. More photos uploaded. Took some good cupola framing shots since I know several people found those helpful the last go round. All wrapped and ready for roofing. I also used hot dipped nails in the gun for the cupola since last time I did not and the nails bled black down the 2x4s from the steam. All cosmetic but something to note. In fact, everything from the top plate up is all galvanized. They were much more. I love this Milwaukee M18 battery powered framing nailer. No more hose to trip on or loop through rafters, blowback and incorrect depth nails are non-existent, etc. Pricey but I chock it off as a trip/safety hazard must need

Last edited by WoodButcher; 07-20-2022 at 07:01 PM.

What's your plan for your interior walls? I have been trying to decide what to do for my own shack. My current shack has no vapor barrier and you just see the back of the siding. I would like to do something that would be presentable if i volunteered my shack for the local maple days tours. I'm super jealous about your head start building, I still have to pour concrete for mine before i can get started framing. Love the pictures, keep'em coming!
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Well my original plan was eastern red cedar, but unfortunately that is about $24 a 1x6 board! I just love the smell....
    My last shack had no interior, just raw studs and it looked fine. I liked the shelf space from the nailer boards too. you can see that in my signature link.

With the new shack you'll be able to see the house wrap from the inside but im ok with that. for me to put hemlock in the interior as well would cost me about $600 so maybe thats a thought....
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 07-22-2022 at 07:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast