+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Width of 3ft. evaporator arches

Default Width of 3ft. evaporator arches

Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone's arch width was for their insulated, forced draft, air over fire- type arch with a 36" wide set of pans? I know they are usually wider than the pans, unlike the older and/or uninsulated ones. I figured 2-3" wider on each side but that's just a guess. Maybe it's more? Just contemplating at this point about upgrading and was curious about sugarhouse layout with the increased width.

Thanks.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

The width on my Grimm 3x8, 2001 vintage was 37.25", Leader pans which were labeled 3' wide but only 35" wide. I guessv their feet were smaller.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave.

Anyone else out there with a "newer" style arch, where the pans are inboard of the arch sides, regardless of pan size? How much narrower are the pans to the arch width?

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate

Steve,
    I may be confused by your question since you seemed to respond to Dave as if he didn't have a valid response. Maybe you're just want a larger sampling of results. My rails extend a couple of inches beyond the pan on the sides. But that doesn't give the entire picture for figuring out clearances since the float boxes and manifolds will stick out a lot more. I'm also confused be your concern given your sugarhouse dimensions. Most of us have evaporator rooms shorter in length than you have width! I must be misunderstanding your question.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Since my arch was 21 yrs old, I can see why Steve wanted something newer, a lot has changed in 21 yrs in regards to arches. Steve, why not contact any of the vendors selling new evaporators. I see Shaws is closed until July 5.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Ken,

No, Dave's response was fine. But I can see how my short reply seemed, short. And I had seen Dave's rig, but I never paid any attention to his arch width while I was there! My second question was just an attempt to see if the additional width on the newer arch's was about the same, regardless of pan width. It seems like two inches beyond the pan on both sides is the norm on the newer rigs.

And it doesn't matter what size any of our sugar houses are- they are all too small! Lol. I was concerned about the size because my arch is somewhat close to the arc the woodshed door swings and I just recently built a larger wood cart, so I wanted to know how much closer things would be.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread