+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Long Does Raw Sap Keep?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I have a different sap collection strategy when I pass the mid point of the season. I never put my sap in a tank. I just collect into the 15- 20 food grade buckets and boil them as I go. I've found that sap goes bad faster when you throw it altogether.
    Are you saying that this is something you start doing at the midpoint, and prior to the mid-point, you are collecting in tanks?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I have a different sap collection strategy when I pass the mid point of the season. I never put my sap in a tank. I just collect into the 15- 20 food grade buckets and boil them as I go. I've found that sap goes bad faster when you throw it altogether.
    The "one bad apple" theory.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I use a small gathering tank and a storage tank when it is cold and sap keeps well. After that I just gather into 5 gallon buckets, snap on the lids, then haul them to the shanty. I do have a 7-8 gallon head tank that feeds my 2x6. All of my trees are within 125 yards of the evaporater. The Good Doctor is right, it just takes one bad bucket when mixed with 20 good ones to start a bad process. Late in the season it's better to leave the sap in buckets in the woods than to pick it up, put it in 2 tanks, then leave it overnight to boil a day latter. I will also turn over my buckets if it's an extended warm spell , sometimes do a quick wash, then put them back on when/if sap weather returns. I made some really good late season syrup this year when everyone around me had given it up.
    Last edited by Ed R; 06-15-2022 at 02:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123