+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you use a single wall 8” stovepipe through a metal ceiling

Hybrid View

Default Can you use a single wall 8” stovepipe through a metal ceiling

Last year I had a 6” stovepipe that went out the back of my cinderblock evaporator and ran outside of my metal roof. This year I will be having a base stack with an 8” stovepipe that will go through the metal roof. The only flammable items near by would be the trusses that would be 8” away from the pipe.

Can I have a single wall pipe go through the metal roofing, or do I have to use a double wall section of stove pipe?

If I am allowed to use a single wall stove pipe, is simple flashing enough on top of the roof?

A single 3 foot section of double walled 8” stovepipe costs almost as much the base stack itself.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I had a small fire from a 8" single wall chimney with wood 12" away from the chimney. I was using a blower so the stack temp was higher than natural draft.
    It would be better to use double wall chimney.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Rule of thumb from a fire department perspective (inside a house) is that single wall needs a 16" clearance to combustibles. Insulated double wall is a 2" clearance. Not sure if that is gospel in a structure like yours, but that is my $.02

I believe you should check and go with your local fire codes.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I have single wall going through the metal roof. I have a 10" stack and my rafters are 16" on center. I have my rafters insulated with arch board and never had a problem. My base stack glows red at near 2000 degrees. I'm not telling you to do the same, just telling you it works for me.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    I have single wall going through the metal roof. I have a 10" stack and my rafters are 16" on center. I have my rafters insulated with arch board and never had a problem. My base stack glows red at near 2000 degrees. I'm not telling you to do the same, just telling you it works for me.
    What do you use on the top of the roof to keep the rain out?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    What do you use on the top of the roof to keep the rain out?
    I actually just cut the hole and put the pipe through. Very tightly. It leaks during the season and when the season is over I run a bead of silicone around the pipe sealing it for the summer. My shelter is just a roof coming off the side of my garage that has some temporary walls added. It has evolved over the years to a decent setup. Can't find the time to build a real Sugar Shack.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

I have an 8" single walled pipe going through a metal roof. I used a roof jack (flashing) and a storm collar. So far, I haven't found any sealant for the storm collar capable of sustained, high heat so my stack leaks (which I am working on fixing). I have about 18" clearance to combustibles. This I accomplished by removing a section of purlin between two rafters. Even then, I covered the structural lumber with insulation. My stack temps generally fall between 900 and 1200*F.

If you stick with single walled pipe-DO NOT wrap insulation around the pipe. It will catch fire. Don't ask me how I know. The pipe needs air.

If you buy double walled pipe-yes, it would be expensive, but not as expensive as building a new sugar shack.

As others have referenced, check your codes.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

I went to a local hardware store to talk stovepipes and to a local fireplace store, and talked to two friends and also talked to the gentleman who I will be getting the base stack from. Confusing information, but I think I learnt a few things and know what I want to do, almost.

I learnt that at least in our area, what you call double wall stove pipe is different from chimney pipe. Double wall is for inside the building and chimney pipe is for outdoors, but could be used indoors as well.

You have to support the chimney pipe.

What is not clear to me, some say the single wall pipe can fit directly into the chimney pipe and others say you need an adapter that is made for a particular manufacturers chimney pipe.

The gentleman who I am buying the base stack from says the single pipe can go directly into the chimney pipe, and he may have some reasonably priced chimney pipe, so I may just get it all from him.

I will have the base stack, then add on the chimney pipe. I will build a redneck support for the chimney pipe. And it will go through a fairly tight hole in the metal roof and I will have a storm collar for the chimney pipe.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

I found the Selkirk product line the cheapest when I was looking. You can also call their technical help line to get information on your install.

I also found their manual helpful. https://www.selkirkcorp.com/literatu...Guide_-_US.pdf

The single wall pipe is secured by your heater at the bottom, then attaches to the adapter that fit's at the bottom of your ceiling, and then it's double wall insulated from there up. The outside chimney must be supported if it's beyond a certain length. I didn't need to.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast