+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off-season storage of Aquatec Pump and other non-membrane components

Default Off-season storage of Aquatec Pump and other non-membrane components

I have a home-built RO machine using the Aquatec 8852 pump with four 150 gpd membranes. I have completed the RO soap and acid washes followed by another RO soap wash just for good measure.The membranes will be removed and placed in PVC pipes treated with distilled water and the membrane preservative (metabisulfite sodium).

Are there any recommendations about storage treatments for the other parts of the system (i.e., the pump, filter housings, and lines) during the off-season period? – I am mostly concerned about the pump itself. Is it wise to keep the pump’s diaphragm wet during off-season storage? If so, is the same concentration of metabisulfite sodium okay to leave in the RO system? If kept wet, should the system be started during the off-season for any reason? The entire RO unit and membranes will be stored indoors (in our mechanical room) so the temperature will never drop below 62 F so any exposure to freezing temperatures will not be possible.

The pump should be fine dry. I wouldn't keep any concentrated chemicals in the pump head. Flush it with water and you'll be good to go. If the pump seizes up, the seal has already been leaking so it doesn't make much difference at this point.

+ Reply to Thread