+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shelf Life of Permeate

Default Shelf Life of Permeate

Any shelf life on permeate? I have about 35 gallons or so in a sap barrel that would be kept outside until needed to flush the system before 2023 season. Anyone see any problem with using this after it having set for a year with the heat/freeze etc?

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

I am not certain on an answer but am equally interested. I think it would be important to make sure the barrel you are storing it in was cleaned really well if it has previously held sap. Keeping it out of sunlight would be helpful as well.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I would be surprised if it did not have something growing in it before then. If I leave a tank it will have green in it by mid summer.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I keep a tank of perm. every year and run it through to get the preservative out the following spring, never had a problem and has never turned green. Right or wrong I do it. I do run the first minute of concentration on the ground following the initial startup.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I store the membranes in the posts after the final wash and rinse of the season. Then I do a couple of rinses during the off-season with tap water and a rinse again just before the first processing of the season. My tap water is from my private well so no chemicals.

If you save permeate then I would store it in something like stainless barrels sealed tight. I wouldn't want any container that allows light through.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread