+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314152555 ... LastLast

Thread: My plan 2022/23

Some good progress today on the structure. It is still a work in progress. The temporary chords will be replaced with better ones. Supports from the posts to the beams to be added. Just one more truss/rafter to go up. I will be using 2x6 for strapping, because I have it available free.

Tonight I will build the remaining truss and start to cut pieces for the cupola.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a5T...hd7Zz7uiHfhbMg

https://share.icloud.com/photos/07fM...UrEIExYdklxArw
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

When I typed it in on their search bar it was as follows; double wall chimney pipe. The price that came up for my store was $115.49 that is U.S. dollars. I cannot believe that it more than doubles in Canada. The boot had the base flashing attached. I did add the extra ring that goes on the outside of the pipe to deflect water, but right now for the life of me I can't remember what they are called.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

The structure that will house my evaporator is coming along. Just waiting for the metal roofing (June 13) and the decking material (next week) to arrive.

I still will add a cupola, but I am not a roof guy and my friend who is helping me says he will add it. He is doing it differently than I would, but seeing how he will be the one up on the roof and that he has built houses that have made magazines, I will yield to his knowledge.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cbv...xktA-IcyZELtng

I am going to have to go to a stove pipe store and understand exactly what I need to do to come up through the metal roof. It is the only part of my plan for the up coming season where I still have no set plan for. I want to do it safely, but also do not want to break the bank.

After I have finished the structure and deck, the next thing will be to add the over center clamps to the vacuum filter. I highly recommend the vacuum filter. It did an excellent job of filtering and in under two minutes of time.

After that I will be adding piping to the garage, so that I can pump from some of my collection barrels, directly to my raw sap barrel for the RO.

Late August/early September, I will walk up where my new lines will go and like last year, I will use twine to mark the path where my lines will go. This not only helps with determining the best path for the lines, but helps me identify how much line I have to buy and how many drops, I will need.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

I am still waiting for the metal roof to arrive next week and for the balance of my used deck boards to arrive, to finish the deck. That should be done by the weekend.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/00eZ...T0P4gnU8G_FG6w

In the end I decided not to add a cupola at this time. Partially because my friend helping me was reluctant to build it, but mostly because the sides and the ends are so wide open, the steam and smoke will easily find a way out.

If I ever get a real evaporator and close in the shelter, or if I find that the steam and smoke is not exiting well, I have structured things so that I can always add one in the future, with not too many problems.

After this is all completed, my next project is to add the off centered clamps to the vacuum filter.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Looks nice! For several years I had no opening directly above my evaporator. You are right that with big enough opening on the ends of the structure the steam will find it's way out. The problem is that there will be a constant pool of steam above the evaporator, and it will condense on those joists and drip into your pan.

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

We got the metal roof on today. I will have to wait until next week to get the deck boards I need to finish the deck.

It will never be a “sugar shack” because it does not have any walls and no cupola, but it will be a good shelter for the evaporator. Once the evaporator is in it with the official looking base stack, it will look more like a sugar something. For the summer it will be a nice gazebo area.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f6M...QlCuV6uAo8bsfA
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d8m...TQR0ZkReXjLyCA
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b99...eYOwdvoKQu-aTg

In the fall I will surround the evaporator area with a four foot high wall of my split wood for the evaporator. If need be when I start evaporating and there is a driving rain coming in on one side, I can always put up tarps.

Next thing, after I finish the deck boards, will be to get some good cobalt drill bits to drill the holes in my stainless steel vacuum filter, to install the over center clamps. I cannot tell you how good the DYI vacuum filter is, and what a great job of filtering it does and it does it in minutes (1 to 2 minutes).
    DYI Vacuum Filter

My first structure was also what I called a sugaring gazebo.. the following year I obtained (by chance) some free materials and expanded the footprint and enclosed with walls.. I found the wind with the open gazebo made managing the steam very difficult, especially as I manually check the level in the pans (no float box and a siphon to connect pans).. You might consider wrapping the walls with thin plastic sheeting (i.e. just wrap and staple on the outside) for the month + you are boiling and then take down when the season is done. Blocking the wind from cooling the pans is also beneficial.. just a thought.

Looking good thought! Much nicer than my gazebo was! :-)
    2020 -30 trees 32 taps. ~900 L sap; 27.1L Syrup.
    2019 -27 trees 31 taps. ~725 L sap; 22.2L Syrup.
    2018 -19 Trees 20 taps. ~750 L sap; 18 L Syrup
    2017 -4 trees 4 taps. ~60 L sap; 1.5 L Syrup

Quote Originally Posted by paulslund View Post
    My first structure was also what I called a sugaring gazebo.. the following year I obtained (by chance) some free materials and expanded the footprint and enclosed with walls.. I found the wind with the open gazebo made managing the steam very difficult, especially as I manually check the level in the pans (no float box and a siphon to connect pans).. You might consider wrapping the walls with thin plastic sheeting (i.e. just wrap and staple on the outside) for the month + you are boiling and then take down when the season is done. Blocking the wind from cooling the pans is also beneficial.. just a thought.

Looking good thought! Much nicer than my gazebo was! :-)
    Thanks.

My posts are 10x10 apart, so I will have four 10’ long tarps at the ready, and will adjust them as needed. I will have to learn what is best and that could be different each day.

My wife likes the open look during the summer, so the temporary tarping, may be the way I go for the next few years.

I just finished the deck on the structure today. All of the wood for the structure and the deck, with the exception of the four 6x6 posts, was free.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/005-...5IPNsT8H3DfU0w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08dU...pSjIsYQ4vFZ46g

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e0F...ky6e7gBhFHyZRQ

Gary
    DYI Vacuum Filter

Installed my over centred clamps on my vacuum filter today. It seemed impossible to drill last Spring, but with different drill bits and an improved technique, it became almost easy to drill today.

This will make filtering syrup even easier now. I highly recommend 4walls DYI vacuum filter. It does a super job of filtering in just minutes.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b41...z48gUlmd16Gh_Q

https://share.icloud.com/photos/088o...0rXt-rXopojzeA

Next project will be to build the stand that will hold the head tank. After that is to install the piping through the garage wall to pump directly from the collection barrels to the RO raw sap barrel, that will be in the garage.
    DYI Vacuum Filter

2 things. Earlier you were asking or wondering about draw off frequency, just do it by temperature and don't try to time it. Actually back when I had a 2x6 I attended a seminar by Glen Goodrich and he said he draws continually. Yes his evaporator was far bigger, but I started doing continuous draws. As the temperature got to syrup, I cracked the draw off valve slightly. Early when I tried I was able to get 15-20 minute long trickle draws before I had to close the valve. In time I got better and a few times I got draws of 45-60 minutes. Then I graduated to a 3x8, the draws got longer. However after fighting getting an auto draw I finally got one, WOW, so much easier.
    Cupola, they are easy to build. It's common to make them the same size as the evaporator. Just make them a little house on the roof with both sides openable and closeable, from below, at floor level.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314152555 ... LastLast