+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporator Damage in Shipment

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    Buying from a privateer is always cheaper! The owner probably has a ax to grind with the big four! It’s all good until the groundhog is delivering the privateers mail! Will they still be in business! Doubtful, Maybe, who knows, my 2 cents worth
    Mark 220 Maple
    Smoky lake may have been cheaper at one point. Nowadays, not so much!
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

We bought a 2x6 Corsair raised flue evaporator with single side reverse flow, auto draw, with everything swapped to the opposite side (draw-off on the left, sap entering on the right, etc.) due to the configuration of our sugar shack. It was shipped to our location in Massachusetts. We bought lids for the evaporator, filter press and steam bottler as well all at the same time. We live 1/3 mile off the road so the semi parked at the bottom of our driveway and I met him down there with my tractor with forks on it to unload it all. Everything was packaged very well and nothing was damaged at all. I believe there was an option of having it delivered with a lift gate truck as well but I didn't need it.

I understand everyone's comments about buying from a local dealer and for the most part I completely agree. At the time, CDL and Leader were my only local options and I looked at many of them in use in my area when I was in the market. What made zero sense to me was why you needed to build a mortar "box" under the Leader fireboxes. I don't know if that's changed now or not...? Just seems like extra work/cost to me. I also didn't like the style of the "American" pan that Leader and CDL offered. I wanted a crossflow pan. My original 2x4 semi-homemade evaporator I started out with was set up that way with the draw off on the front corner. The hottest part of the pan was always where the arch angled back towards the rear pan, in the back of the syrup pan, not the front. I wanted to be able to draw off at the rear of the syrup pan with a cross flow set-up. At the time, the only company that was offering this was Smoky Lake. I was able to get what I wanted, at a significantly lower cost than going local and settling for something I didn't want.

Jim and Angela are very quick at getting back to me with answers to my questions for the most part. That being said, I do wish they had an East Coast or better yet a New England distributor who I could contact or have come out to our farm. This is something that Leader does very well in my opinion.

As far as cost goes, I do think their prices are going up, however I sent out requests for a custom lid to be made for our CDL 100 gallon head tank to many different companies. CDL said they don't make a lid for their sap tanks and didn't offer to quote it. Leader, Sunrise, and a local sheet metal place all gave us a quote. Smoky Lake was cheaper than all three. Lapierre didn't respond to my request until a month after I had placed my order and they were actually cheaper by a few dollars, but their quote came back too late. Oh, and the lid for the head tank was shipped to me as well and came in with no damage whatsoever.
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

+ Reply to Thread