+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Expansion PLans - Input appreciated

Default Offseason Expansion PLans - Input appreciated

Hello all -

Hope your seasons were all good! As the 2022 season winds down, we are looking ahead to next year.

We are looking to expand our current 400 tap operation - mixed 3/16 on natural vac and some 5/16 on sureflo style pumps - to a tubing system with automated vac.

The section that we are looking to build out is approximately 20 acres with all mature sugar maples on a north facing hill. Slopes are approximately 1% as an average to our tank location. Our old collection tank was down a hill with greater slopes for the 3/16", but we will be moving our tanks to allow for easier removal in snow and ice.

I have included a drawing at the link below for feedback.

We will probably do this expansion in 2 stages, each approximately 750 taps. We do not have power so will be looking at dc systems for vacuum and some type of solar array for charging. The Bosworth Guzzler G2 systems seem to be our best(and only) real option. We do not live near our sugar bush and need remote functionality to operate.

For storage tanks we are looking at either 1500 or 2000 gallon SS for each 750 taps. Probably closer to the 1500 gallon capacity.

Mainline - we are torn between 1" or 1 1/4". It appears from research that the 1 1/4 can handle 1000 taps. Questions are:

1. Should we run the mainline along the hedge row say 1 1/4 and then the lines teeing off of that say 3/4" that will branch out to our laterals? Or keep all the same size?
    2. Run a 1 1/4" line for the first section of 750 taps and then a second one up to the next section of 750 taps? or a 1 1/2 line to capture the whole system?
    3. Should we tie in the ends of each line that tees off the main or dead end them all?
    4. Leaning towards the spin seal, non-prelashed.
    5. Color leaning towards blue.
    6. Pump technology either mountainmaplefarm or bosworth sap check
    7. Single line verse dual line

More on the expansion - a 2X8 oil fired arch( 0r 30"X8), a 600 or 900 R/O and a new sugar shack 25X40 that will tie into our existing 15X20.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dv8...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
    Belle Hollow Syrup
    Canaseraga, NY

375 Taps
    Smoky Lake Hybrid 2x4
    100 GPH RO
    Oil barrel Arch

Personally I'd really try to get into an actual vacuum pump and releaser setup, even if it means running a generator. With that many taps having something that will overcome leaks will be a big bonus, especially if you aren't there all the time.

I'm far from an expert on tubing, but I'd see if you can do an inch over inch wet/dry setup and then brach off into inch mainlines. I just like being able to keep fewer sizes of fittings in stock. 3/4 is a little cheaper, but not as forgiving to install.

I'd only go with spin seal if you're gonna buy the tool. I used dsd star saddles for my installation this year and love them. Not a single leak and they're super simple. I've heard good things about the lapierre flex clips too.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Personally I'd really try to get into an actual vacuum pump and releaser setup, even if it means running a generator. With that many taps having something that will overcome leaks will be a big bonus, especially if you aren't there all the time.

I'm far from an expert on tubing, but I'd see if you can do an inch over inch wet/dry setup and then brach off into inch mainlines. I just like being able to keep fewer sizes of fittings in stock. 3/4 is a little cheaper, but not as forgiving to install.

I'd only go with spin seal if you're gonna buy the tool. I used dsd star saddles for my installation this year and love them. Not a single leak and they're super simple. I've heard good things about the lapierre flex clips too.
    Good advice throughout this post from start to finish. Forget the guzzler pump. CFM is too low to work just with tree gases from that many taps. No point putting in a great tubing system if the pump is that marginal.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Great! thanks for the advice on the pumps. We were also contemplating trying to go with a gas generator to power a vacuum set-up that we can wire a thermostat to cycle on and off at a pre-set temperature.

What would be a vac pump capable of this amount of taps that can run on say a 2000 watt generator if any?

As far as the mainline that runs in my diagram up the hedge row: If I run a dual line up to cover up to 1500 taps should it be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2? Does the vac line have to be the same size? Can I run a black poly water line for the vac?

The lateral mainlines that tee off of the main - that can just be a single line correct?
    Belle Hollow Syrup
    Canaseraga, NY

375 Taps
    Smoky Lake Hybrid 2x4
    100 GPH RO
    Oil barrel Arch

Quote Originally Posted by Bellehollow View Post
    The section that we are looking to build out is approximately 20 acres with all mature sugar maples on a north facing hill. Slopes are approximately 1% as an average to our tank location. Our old collection tank was down a hill with greater slopes for the 3/16", but we will be moving our tanks to allow for easier removal in snow and ice.

I agree with the advice to go for a high capacity high vacuum pump (like a rotary vane) with a wet-dry line but I have a couple of concerns:

- At 1% you have a very marginal slope. If you're doing a mechanical releaser over a tank then you'll need extra height at the tank which gives you even less slope to work with.
    - A 2,000 gallon SS round bottom tank will be reduced to about 1,500 gallons with a mechanical releaser stand that is suspended in the tank.
    - I don't think you'll drive much of a "real" vacuum pump with just a 2,000 watt generator.
    - CDL makes gas powered vacuum pumps. There's no sense in having a generator unless you need the power for other equipment. I'd guess you're looking at something closer to an 8,000 watt generator to drive a 3HP electric motor for a rotary vane pump.
    - You're going to burn some serious fuel.
    - Remote systems are a big challenge. Many guys are using monitoring system to keep track of the operation but there's lot's of complications if you don't have internet at the sugarbush.

Good Luck

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

So I think what I'm really concluding in my post above is that maybe you are better off with a simpler sureflo type system. It would be cheaper and easier to maintain. If your sugarhouse was within piping distance I would be strongly suggesting that a high-vac wet/dry system is the best and obvious solution. Or, if you were a big producer you would be setting up with the high-vac wet/dry with insulated/heated pump building and 25kw diesel generators - but even they would need about 10 times more taps to justify it.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

How far from grid power?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Few responses:

The actual slope of this section is between 1 and I would say closer to 3% depending on where you are. Where the tank would go under this plan has a decent drop off from the rest of the bush. I just said 1% at minimum, with the average probably closer to 2%.

We have gone through a couple changes with our overall "plan" the last year and a half or so.

Our current sugarshack sits next to the camp at the top of the property. We can build the new sugarshack on the other side of the property remote from the current camp, but on the road, with power. We have thousands of sugar maples on the property with the ability to tap several with a large tubing system. This would alleviate the power concerns and have all sap flow into the building - which is obviously the most idea situation.

Some concerns that we have is keeping it semi-hobbyish and limiting ourselves to 1500 taps. If we build out on the other side like above - we would have to go 5000-6000 taps to justify expenses, turning it more full-time. Both my partner in this addicting endeavor and I both work full-time jobs and live about an hour away.

We could still run the lines from this current bush down to the road, at approximately 5500 feet of tubing, and that would allow for future expansion on that side if we ever elect to go that route in the future. Is that too far to run with all the maintenance and operational complexity to achieve vacuum on power if we just added a small vacuum house with the 1500 taps to the other side of property? (5500') This side also drops off to steep slopes.

Which keeps bringing us back to this circular argument on how may taps do we want to end up with and what is the best option for our future plans. Ken -yes, that is why we were leaning the Guzzler option or similar. At the same time we dont want to throw good money at a system that we arent going to be happy with.

For 2022 we produced 100 gallons of syrup from our 375 taps. We averaged 1.8% sugar throughout the season. Being below the optimal 1/2 gallon/tap number we realize that we are leaving sap in the woods and want to maximize our efforts.
    Belle Hollow Syrup
    Canaseraga, NY

375 Taps
    Smoky Lake Hybrid 2x4
    100 GPH RO
    Oil barrel Arch

If you are still working a full time job and doing this after hours you need to upsize your equipment. A 2x8 or 30" x 8 without a steamaway will be to small. Also depending on what concentration level you take your sap to you may need a 1200 GPH 2 post machine. We have about 1300 taps of which 950 are on vacuum, a single post 600 GPH RO and a 3x10 oil fired. The RO is the bottleneck in our operation. We are adding vacuum to another 300 taps for next year and are looking at a 1200 GPH 2 post RO.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

I would build the sugar shack where you can get power. That is #1 in my book. Sap directly to the shack is a close 2nd in my opinion. From someone who worked in a 5500 tap sugar bush with his partner in hopes of buying it- you are correct that it’s a lot and not so much a hobby. We also work full time jobs and we’re just under an hour away. Maintenance and tapping was manageable but it was at least one day every weekend starting in November and usually time around the holidays spent on the woods. During the season would have been too much for us.
    I’d move the shack and set up half the taps to get started. Size everything in the woods appropriately so you can expand in the future. Power, real vac, no pumping…..getting the sugar shack in the right spot makes everything easier.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast