+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Big Thanks To Russell re Bubbler Systems

Default A Big Thanks To Russell re Bubbler Systems

With the bubbler system this year,syrup came out all extremely light,pans easy to clean up,as it was a light creamy coloured film on the flues,syrup is crystal clear and sparkling like you would expect from a filter press,but we use gravity filtration. Tested syrups this morning before I put all the testing equipment away. First syrup graded at 88 Lt. Last syrup graded at 84 Lt. My wife said quit cleaning the pans so much,but actually I only cleaned the steam away twice. Last syrup had a strong flavour to it but definitely golden in colour.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

You're welcome and I'm glad that the bubbler helped you make some great syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Bubbler system...?
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Bubbler system...?
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...bblemaster-1.0!

A bubbler is a series of tubes with small holes drilled in them that directs air to the bottom of your pans. The purpose is to keep the nitre in the bottom of the flues suspended so that it doesn't burn in the bottom of the flues or on the bottom of the pan. The result is lighter syrup and cleaner pans. In my case it also increased the evaporation rate and cut down on the amount of defoamer that I had to use.

It's most beneficial when boiling concentrated sap because more nitre is released in the flue pan. When nitre settles in the bottom of the flues it will burn darkening the flue pan sap. When the sap coming into the front pan is already the color of finished syrup it only gets darker as it turns to syrup. I have seen where the nitre burned into a flue pan bad enough that it actually burned a hole through the flue.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thank you for the information!
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

This was from Dr. Perkins at Proctor Research Center.

"No....making lighter syrup is the primary reason people use them. Although some producers report less niter in pans, research has not demonstrated that effect. The niter that is present is much lighter in color, which might be interpreted as less thick. However when measured, the thickness of scale-type niter (deposited on pans) and the amount of sugar sand produced (what is filtered out of the syrup) is the same.

See http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/air_injection.pdf for detailed information."

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

+ Reply to Thread