+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How important is reverse flow on a pan?

Default How important is reverse flow on a pan?

Found a used evaporator for my nephew,but there is no way of reversing flow on this 2 x 6, am wondering how you would keep syrup pan clean that nitre won’t burn on?
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Found a used evaporator for my nephew,but there is no way of reversing flow on this 2 x 6, am wondering how you would keep syrup pan clean that nitre won’t burn on?
    If that's the only thing you don't like, I wouldn't worry too much. The front pan should be small enough that it's not a big hassle to drain it and clean it. When I had a 2x10 that's all I ever did because drawing from the other side wasn't convenient. About every 60 gallons of syrup or so I'd clean it out. Worked fine.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I was boiling about 2000 taps on a 2x6. ROing to about 16%. 2x2 front pan. Not reversable. Pretty sure it would not have helped to reverse that small a pan. After boiling about 3 hours it was time to shut down and clean it anyway.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

i'd think it wouldn't' be an issue 85% of the time. towards the end of the year it might suck. i was switching syrup pans every 1.5 hours the last 3 boils this year due to nitre build up! much of the reason i decided to call it a year about a week early!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I was boiling about 2000 taps on a 2x6. ROing to about 16%. 2x2 front pan. Not reversable. Pretty sure it would not have helped to reverse that small a pan. After boiling about 3 hours it was time to shut down and clean it anyway.
    That's what I do. With the RO, my boils are 2-3 hours. It's more effective to clean the pan between boils. Before the RO, boils were 8, 10, 12 hours depending on the run. That's when I wanted a reversible pan. I'd base part of your decision on the length of the boil.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

We've boiled over 600 gallons or about 12 hours of raw sap on our front pan without any niter burns. We usually try to clean every 8 hours or so (400-500 gallons) of sap. I assume it would be proportionally the same with RO'd sap. I actually have a local stainless contractor making me a new 2x2 so we have a spare pan. Then we will just change every boil or can easily shut down mid-boil and have a clean pan ready to go. I would look at investing into that before the reverse setup. About $1000 for our pan to be made.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

A lot depends on the amount of niter you get. I have gone 1500 gallons of raw sap on a 2X6 with a 2x2 front pan and have had to stop at as little as 300 to clean. The end of the season usually has more niter than the early season. I concentrate to 10 to 12% and switch half way through. My last boil was only 410 gallons of raw sap that I concentrated and boiled, switching half way through and the whole pan was nitered pretty good. Being able to reverse flow is nice if you have it but not a necessity, you just have to clean sooner.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread