+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of Year Syrup pan Sweet

Thank you

Ms Ellis

I drain my flu pan of all sweet into 5 gallon stainless milk pails.
    Then fill it with permeate and fill head tank with permeate.
    I set the stainless milk pails in the back pan with a spacer under them to keep water on the pans and around the pail. This keep them hot and kinda acts like a preheater.
    As I’m boiling I just ladle sweet into the syrup pan at the inlet to keep the levels good. When the light goes off on the auto draw I grab a pails and slowly pour the sweet into the syrup pan at the inlet and chase the syrup out.
    Works good. Have to pay attention though.
    I got an extra 8-9 gallons this year chasing sweet. So it was well worth it.
    Last year we tried making maple vinegar with the sweet.
    It worked. But not as tasty as you would think.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Forgive my ignorance, I understand this conversation is about if you have a front and a back pan, but if you just have a single large divided pan, is the concept the same at the end of the year, that you add water instead of sap and push the gradient along?
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Boil it down in the pan without any sap or water addiction until the volume is low enough to put it all in a small pot you can finish on the stove or a Turkey fryer.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I run wood so it's challenging to do a final syrup pan boil since I can't shut and cool down quickly.
    Ken
    Challenging, but only first time or two you do it. It doesn't take much of a fire to just have the front pan boiling. Use smaller wood as you get closer to the end and the heat is much easier to control. This season end, I stopped the finishing boil a little too soon. I had the mindset of a typical shut down where my volume drops by half after I flood the pans - but since it was such a small fire, it didn't evaporate that much more after I put the last of the sweet in. It was still really light and I was very low on propane for the finisher, so I just relit a fire and fired it 2 or three times. That cut the volume way down and got me about a point heavy.

The end result of that boil was 8 gallons of delicious 30% Tc. I can't imagine selling that for $20. It's definitely worth the extra effort to try to get the last of your syrup off your pan.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

On my little rig, I take it down as low as I can using small pieces of softwood (easy to control fire that way), then drain everything out and finish it over propane. Takes a couple hours to finish it, but worth it for the 3-4 gallons of extra syrup. I also sometimes do this mid-season to recover about 25% LT, especially if there is a long freeze at that time.
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12