+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 is one brand better?

Default 3/16 is one brand better?

I had a big issue of chew holes caused by chipmunks and red squirrels. My previous lines lasted 7 years. But these lines were only on 3rd season. The line that was in use was Leader and before I buy new line I wonder if there is any that might be better?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

I'm a solid believer in 30p 3/16 from leader.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

We have used both Leader 3/16 and CDL 3/16. I believe they are both a semi rigid tubing. I wouldn't hesitate on either brand. I will say on the fittings I do like the CDL brand a bit better for the double barb on the T's.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    We have used both Leader 3/16 and CDL 3/16. I believe they are both a semi rigid tubing. I wouldn't hesitate on either brand. I will say on the fittings I do like the CDL brand a bit better for the double barb on the T's.
    I have only used leader tubing and am happy with it. I also prefer CDL fittings, except for the spiles...use leader check valves and love them.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    I have only used leader tubing and am happy with it. I also prefer CDL fittings, except for the spiles...use leader check valves and love them.
    I forgot to mention that we use the 5/16 drop with the 3/16 line. 1. it's easier to find the spouts you want to use. 2. The extra diameter of the line gives enough room for the freeze pull back without a check valve. (Tried those too, just saw too many gummed up at the end of the year to believe they work well.)
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

You couldn't PAY me to use leader 30p 3/16. Never again. It pulls right off the fittings. My favorite is the green stuff from h20 innovation. The cdl stuff is good too. The best fittings are cdl.

I had way less squirrel chews on my h20 tubing than 30p and it's much easier to see through which daily helps for leak checks and diagnosis.

Edited to add: my leader dealer actually stopped selling 30p in 3/16 after getting lots of reports like mine. They say the flexible stuff from leader gets much better reviews.
    Last edited by motowbrowne; 04-13-2022 at 10:46 PM.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

+ Reply to Thread