+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IDing Tap Holes

Default IDing Tap Holes

It's time for pulling spouts. Does anyone ID tap holes to make for quick finding them when tapping the next year?

If yes, what do you ID with? Spray paint?
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

As a certified organic producer, I'm not allowed to use synthetic paint on my trees. Perhaps organic paint made from berries is ok but wouldn't be recognizable by the next tapping season.
    Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I have wondered the same thing. Would be very interested in replies. Thanks for asking the question.

I think this is a great question. Seems like having a way to quickly locate last year's taphole would greatly speed up next year's tapping and would promote best use of the surface area of the tree.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

In the fall after the leaves are off the trees, I have marked my spring tap holes with a spot of yellow spray paint for 18 years. A year after I started marking the old tap holes, I thought why not mark next season's tap hole with orange spray paint. I mark last season holes and next season's holes at the same time. When I walk up to a tree in my woods, it is very easy for me to choose the next season drill spot. This years newest tap hole is located in the orange paint spot and you can quickly move far enough away from that hole to mark next season's hole. The paint spots on the trees are a great guide that forces you to tap on all 4 sides of the tree and spread the tap holes all around the taping zone. The paint stays very visible on the trees for 5 or 6 years and when I see a fading spot I just give them another shot of paint.

It is a little time consuming to do 3,200 trees, but there is no better way to spend a few nice fall days than walking through your woods painting tap holes and scooping out what work needs to be done. Next season's orange spot on the trees makes it a lot easier when taping in February in a snow storm. The decision of where to tap for next season was made in warm weather when I wasn't worried about hitting an old
    tap hole or on old sap streak.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

I marked my tap holes for the first time yesterday. I really struggle to figure out which hole is last years. I used push pins that you insert into corkboard. Next spring when I find the pin, I will drill my new hole and move the pin to the new one. Hopefully a fast and easy way to keep them marked and make my tapping job much easier and faster.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

+ Reply to Thread