+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number of Taps vs Finished Quarts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    Wow! That's incredible.
    I probably wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen every load myself. His poor half ton pickup was begging for mercy. Crazy thing was that it wasn't even that great of a season for most people in our area. I told him to expect half of that this year. I'm sure glad he did it though. It was a real eye opener for me, and I have zero regrets about the money I spent on upgrades as a result.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

A few rock walls down from where Andy hid the money for Red.

This is directly correlated to the fact that they are brand new lines. Please update us next year with his final results. It would be a great field test to add to the forum.

Another thing I recently noticed looking at my syrup samples was the improved color/grade with new lines. I was able to make golden Amber the whole season on my first year of 3/16 tubing. Five seasons later, I can see from the samples I went straight to dark syrup the next year, and I have gradually hit darker stages, earlier throughout the years.
    Last edited by M&M Maple Grove; 04-17-2022 at 09:33 AM.
    Roughly 300 taps on a hybrid 3/16 gravity/Shurflo vacuum system.
    12x16 Solo build timber frame sugar house.
    RO Bucket RB-20 with 2nd booster pump(screaming for a coffee break)
    Mismatched Grimm Lighting(Vermont) 2x4 raised flue/ Small Brothers(Quebec) 3x3 syrup pan on modified oil tank arch.

“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Al

Production for my 183 taps was 3910 gallons of sap yielding 78 gallons of syrup for 1.7 quarts of syrup per tap. We had 2 stretches of too cold weather cut my output.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M Maple Grove View Post
    This is directly correlated to the fact that they are brand new lines. Please update us next year with his final results. It would be a great field test to add to the forum.

Another thing I recently noticed looking at my syrup samples was the improved color/grade with new lines. I was able to make golden Amber the whole season on my first year of 3/16 tubing. Five seasons later, I can see from the samples I went straight to dark syrup the next year, and I have gradually hit darker stages, earlier throughout the years.
    Alright, my neighbor is coming by to bottle up his share today, so I did the math on his sap. He hauled me 2254 gallons of sap from the same 100 taps that have him 4000+ last year. I did decline his last load of 75 gallons this year because I was plum tuckered out. So you could call it 2330. Interestingly, his production dropped off at the end versus mine and our other neighbor. Kinda strange because he used new CV spouts whereas the other guy is using plastic seasonal spouts that are 2-3 years old. In any case, Tim had good sugar content, and his 2254 gallons of sap made 69.9 gallons of syrup. Not a gallon per tap like last season, but nothing to complain about either!
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12