+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaving peroxide solution in lines?

Default Leaving peroxide solution in lines?

Hey all,

Finally got out in the woods yesterday to clean everything up for the year, I ran a hydrogen peroxide solution (35% peroxide at 16 oz into 35 gallons of water) up through the lines from the bottom using the diaphragm pump from my RO system. It worked great.

Question now: everything is plugged up and the solution is sitting in the lines and drops all the way to the top, should I just leave this in place until next season or drain the whole thing and blow it dry with a compressor or something? My understanding is the peroxide breaks down to H20 eventually.

Also, is this sufficient cleaning for small-ish (500' max) runs of 3/16 or should I be using the calcium hypochlorite method?
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

I leave the peroxide in for about 1 week and then suck it out using the diaphragm pump while lines are still up. Pull top tap out of tee cup and let it suck it all down for a while and then recap and move down to next drop and repeat down entire line.

Don't blow air thru line...can introduce oil from compressor and dirt / bacteria.

Don't leave lines full of peroxide. Yes it breaks down into water (and oxygen) but the oxygen actually can accelerate the embrittlement of plastics...especially your fittings. I had this happen to all my leader end of line hooks last year. Didn't seem to affect the CDL fittings.

https://youtu.be/FUrzZQOcyb4
    Last edited by DRoseum; 04-11-2022 at 06:08 AM.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    I leave the peroxide in for about 1 week and then suck it out using the diaphragm pump while lines are still up. Pull top tap out of tee cup and let it suck it all down for a while and then recap and move down to next drop and repeat down entire line.

Don't blow air thru line...can introduce oil from compressor and dirt / bacteria.

Don't leave lines full of peroxide. Yes it breaks down into water (and oxygen) but the oxygen actually can accelerate the embrittlement of plastics...especially your fittings. I had this happen to all my leader end of line hooks last year. Didn't seem to affect the CDL fittings.

https://youtu.be/FUrzZQOcyb4
    Ok, cool - so that is essentially the opposite process I followed when "charging" the lines - I worked my way up from the bottom to the top putting the taps into the caps. Would you run some permeate back through the system, too, or don't need to if it's been purged off the peroxide?
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

Yes - I charged mine from bottom working up as well and then drain from top down under vacuum. Video link walks thru that. I do not flush with permeate as I don't want to inadvertently reintroduce any microbes/bacteria. Pulling them nearly dry is sufficient.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

peroxide will dry rot your fittings very quickly. it works ok to clean but it is not good to leave in the lines
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    peroxide will dry rot your fittings very quickly. it works ok to clean but it is not good to leave in the lines
    Agreed. It was also the LEAST effective and lowest economic return of the chemical sanitizers we tested.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread