+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improved Vacuum filter design. 200$ all in

Default Improved Vacuum filter design. 200$ all in

I have made what I think is the simplest cleanest and cheapest vacuum filter system. I have run 75 gallons of syrup through it so far this year without a fault. The syrup is clear. Very clear. It will filter 5 gallons in 2 minutes. This is a video of the design, build and operation of it. The biggest improvement over the CDL design is the tear away filters. Just like dirt bike goggles. Enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8nbZd8EOT0

That looks fabulous. What is the diameter of the pot you used? You've got a lot of surface area there to work with. I think that's part of the challenge on the smaller CDL units is that the filtering surface area is actually pretty small.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Nicely done.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Very nice! How often can you clean and reuse the "peel-away" filters?

Default great video

This is a great video thanks... I sent you a message (using this board) to try to get more details, eg. a "parts list" etc.. that would be helpful. Thanks again for the ideas!

Just watched the video, two thumbs up!
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Quote Originally Posted by red/one View Post
    Just watched the video, two thumbs up!
    I followed 4walls example and made one last year. I did not have the over centre clamps on last year but added them this past summer and it all worked fantastic.

I highly recommend it for the DYI hobby sugar maker. It filters extremely well and extremely fast.

I already had the Toronto Brewery kettle and purchased the exact same Walmart pot and silicone baking sheet.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.

I am very impressed!
    I am adding this to next year's improvements!
    2017 - Buffet pans. 3 quarts
    2018 - 1.5 gallons
    2019 - No trees to tap.
    2020 - No trees to tap.
    2021 - 20 taps into water cooler jugs. 2x3' pan. 5 Gallons
    2022 - 50 taps in tubing w/mainline. 12.5 Gallons
    2023 - 120 taps, 3 mainlines. 2.5x6' evaporator. 9.5 Gallons
    2024 - 151 taps, Hobby canner - Got Syrup?

Very nice setup. i make about 30litres of syrup a year in 3 or 4 batches. Do you think this would seem like too big of a set up of me? Or it doesn't really matter?

Update.
    That filter rig processed over 470 litres of syrup last year. Works like a charm. Just had a couple of buddies build them for themselves and I have built another for a friend. Everything has gone up in price. Almost 300$CAD now.
    Minor modifications. I got rid of the silicon gasket. Not required. I use a sheet of Orlan now between the pots which acts as the final stage in the filter and seals between the pots. I use 2 complete sets of 5 peel away filters. Always have a spare clean and ready. The bottom one is Orlan and is cut in a circle because it does not get removed. The next 5 are the peel away shape. Like a frying pan with the handle. For those I use synthetic felt from Fabricland. I suppose I could use the pre filters for that but the synfelt works well and is cheap and easy to clean.
    I reuse my filters all season long. I wash them by back flushing them in warm water with the spray thingy in the sink. I then do a quick wash with no soap in the washing machine between each use. Do not dry. I could probably pack them away and use them the following year but I made a fresh set for this year. Maybe I could have kept a set and seen if there was any difference in clarity. Realistically, the filters cost about 5 dollars a set so not cost prohibitive.
    I have used with DE slurry and without. Not really any difference.
    I get sheets of Orlan from CDL. Felt from a fabric store.

Just my observations. Mileage (kilometerage?) may vary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast