+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Release Drops

Default Quick Release Drops

There is a YouTube video showing a young lady from Varysburg, NY. Title of video,I would Untap that! She has quick release fittings on every drop line, I used quick release fitting years ago where I would need to drive to another section of the sugarbush, the quick release fittings I used leaked vacuum, if she has 32000 drops would she not have a lot of leaks? I’ve heard Dr. Mike Farrell former Director at Cornell maple research uses quick release fittings on his drops also! I would like to do the same. Have the quick release fittings been improved so they don’t leak?
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Can you copy/paste the link to the exact video?
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Maple Farmer is the YouTube channel
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

I had seen that video and thought the same thing. I like the idea, it makes changing drops and putting on spouts much easier if you can do it at home.

Who makes and sells them though?

Both Leader and CDL
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

I am hoping someone uses them, an can verify they don’t leak vacuum, the first maple supply manufacturer that makes a quick release fitting that does not leak vacuum, producers will beat a path to their door! Just like a better mousetrap!
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I used them this year to attach the lines to my "lunchbox" pumps so I could disconnect the pump easily if temps dropped into the 20's for an extended time and I was afraid that the pump might freeze. They did not leak for me and I was getting 20+ inches of vacuum at the pumps on average which I felt was pretty good for these style pumps.

I saw her videos as well and that's what prompted me to try them. My friend told me they'd leak and my argument to him was that if they use them on an operation where they have 30,000 of them, they can't be leaking very bad otherwise why would they use them?

The ones I used were from Leader.
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

I have also wondered about how well they work, but like you said if they are using them on that size operation they must not have any problems with them. I actually saw her and her family at a gas station in my town a couple weeks ago. I guess I should have asked.

Is the video Nikki Boxler from Boxler Maple? I recently started following them and they have a pretty cool looking operation - with a brand new evaporator that runs off more syrup per hour than most people make in a season! She started taking new drops with quick connects out to the woods well before they started tapping.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast