+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SLIGHTLY ropey syrup?

Default SLIGHTLY ropey syrup?

Hi folks, can you help me figure out if I've made ropey syrup?

Had a batch of sap that sat around for a few days in cool but not cold temps. It got cloudy but smelled and tasted fine, so I went ahead and boiled it. Boil went normally; as I usually do, I drew off early to finish in a propane finishing pan rather than over the wood fire. The almost-finished syrup tastes good, but its texture is a little strange: it's just a little stickier than it seems like it should be, and drips when I pour out are just a little longer and stringier-looking than I'm used to seeing. Sort of seems like it might be ropey, but all the descriptions of ropey syrup are way more dramatic and gross than this. Everybody says you'll know ropey syrup when you see it, but I'm really not sure. So is there such a thing as slightly ropey syrup? Is there anything I can do to verify? I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before putting it in the finishing pan, and certainly before blending it with my previous successful batches. Any help would be great!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It can be hard (or impossible) to get a good density reading on ropey syrup. Generally if the string stretches more than 2 inches long it is considered ropey and rejected.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Am I correct that you can use slightly stringy syrup for candy, sugar, or cream?
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Am I correct that you can use slightly stringy syrup for candy, sugar, or cream?
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I used some to make sugared almonds and they turned out fine.
    2013 25 taps 2.5 gallons
    2014 60 taps 9.5 gallons
    2015 12 x 16 sugar shack 200 taps 1500' 5/16 lines gravity. Home made arch, 2 x 3 pan and 18" x 24" steam pan.
    2016 2 x 5 Smokey Lake hybrid pan. Custom steam hood and float box. Number of taps yet to be determined.
    2017 Made 27 gallons. Added 60 taps on 3/16 lines.
    2018 Adding more 3/16 lines. Made 55 gallons
    2019 Added 4 totes for sap storage. Big shack upgrades.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatetreehugger View Post
    Maybe...depends on the invert level and how stringy it was. If it is stringy, the invert level might be too high. How are you defining "slightly"?

Using it for nuts or sauces (BBQ) might be better options.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks everybody!

I didn't measure the strings yet, but they might be less even than the 2" you mentioned. Maybe one inch or so, just enough that I look at it and think, "That doesn't look right." That was pouring it at high temp, and around 62 brix as I haven't put it in the finishing pan yet.

If it is in fact ropey I may try making granulated sugar with it as suggested. Another option I'm considering is that we do sugar-on-snow demonstrations. Seems like if I overboil this stuff and pour it on shaved ice, the stringiness wouldn't be noticeable. Does that seem reasonable?

+ Reply to Thread