+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugar sand nightmare

Hybrid View

Default Sugar sand nightmare

I know sugar sand is an inevitable thing.
    I boil concentrate at 6 brix , and mid season , after a 2 hours boil,
    by the touch of a spoon you can feel the sand buildup on the bottom of the pan.
    The syrup pan begin to foam or i would say froth , like a milky froth , cause by the
    calcium malate in suspension , that is precipitated , but cannot bond to the surface of the pan which is already saturated.
    Any clue on how to "mitigate" the onset of the sugar build up ?
    Is the front pan boiling to hard ?
    Pierre
    200 taps on 3/16
    Single 4x40 RO
    A wife that understand the basic of sugar making and the complexities of the sugarmakers !!!
    And a good Shetland dog named Brix.

I don’t think there’s aren’t way to prevent sugar sand. A hard boil not the issue and is what you want. Frequent cleaning may be the only cure.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Just don't go over 190 and you'll be fine, that's when sugar sand aka nitre starts to form. And apparently if there are hot spots in your pans then they may help nitre form. Some years nitre is a nightmare, other years it's a tame lil pony. Good luck!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Sweet spot I have all the same issues. I usually have to clean my front pan after each boil. I use permeate water and a shurflo pump to recirculate water through the pan for a few hours. Works great. If I have heavy buildup I put a little citric acid or vinegar but I don't like that because it makes more work with the extra rinsing. I starting running my pan deeper this year and it seems to help a little but because niter can vary from year to year, there's no solid way to know for sure. Some people use air injection systems which may help but I don't have any experience with that.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

+ Reply to Thread