+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How can I open my cupola doors?

Default How can I open my cupola doors?

My sugar shack currently has a cupola with the doors hinged on the bottom. I have a rope and pulley system to close them and they open by gravity (with a slight push with a long stick at times). The problem with the doors opening this way is that my east side door often gets covered with ash while it's open due to prevailing winds. The west door allows rain and snow in again due to the prevailing wind. This means that I end up dumping ash and or snow into the shack when I close the doors.

I'd like to switch them so they are hinged at the top which I think will help keep weather and ash out of the shack. The challenge I have, is how to open them? They would need to be pushed open somehow.
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

If you add a pole with a rope at the top on the window then pulling down on the rope will pivot the window. The you tie the rope to the wall to keep the window open.
    I hope this makes sense. Hard to explain without a picture.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Hydraulic lifter, like on car hatchback, or truck bed caps rear window. Rope and pully inside to close.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Default Top hinge cupola doors

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    My sugar shack currently has a cupola with the doors hinged on the bottom. I have a rope and pulley system to close them and they open by gravity (with a slight push with a long stick at times). The problem with the doors opening this way is that my east side door often gets covered with ash while it's open due to prevailing winds. The west door allows rain and snow in again due to the prevailing wind. This means that I end up dumping ash and or snow into the shack when I close the doors.

I'd like to switch them so they are hinged at the top which I think will help keep weather and ash out of the shack. The challenge I have, is how to open them? They would need to be pushed open somehow.
    I built mine to open at the bottom for the same reason.
    The hinge is actually a piece of 1" pipe set into pillow blocks on the side of the opening. It is held in place on the door with 1" pipe straps.
    The key is to place the pipe at just above the half way point of the door to make it "bottom heavy", when you pull from the top the door wants to close automatically.
    The rope is lead to blocks (pulleys) on a rafter and then led down to a cleat on the wall.

I tried to attach a picture but failed. Send a PM and I'll gladly email.
    John
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Mine ilt out. I use a "kicker" attached to a rope. Once I loosen the hold shut rope, I pull the kicker. Pulling the fast causes a 12" wooden lever to hit the hatch, that normaqlly opens it, accassionally I need to pull a second time. My hatches are hinged on the bottom and open outward. Then as they open I connect the pull shut rope in poswition. That rope is set to limit the amount of open so it doesn't go too far and I need to climb into the trusses to help pull then shut when done boiling. It worked perfectly for 20 seasons when I quit boiling.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread