+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas/suggestions filter press priming bucket

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this post, but I always was told that if you re-heat over 192 degrees that you run the risk of introducing more niter....? I run my filter between 180 - 190.
    That statement is partly true. If you "reheat" syrup over 192* it will precipitate more nitre. When syrup is cooling down from above 192* it doesn't. When you filter syrup you want it to be at 200* or higher so that it will sterilize the container that you're putting it into.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Maple River Sugar View Post
    Can any one share an efficient way to prime a filter press with DE? I take about 3 gallons of syrup and add my DE then put the suction hose in the bucket. This method for me usually ends up being a hot mess with a loss of product. Does anyone have a remedy that works for them? Thanks
    I used a 5 gallon DeLaval milk pail. When the press was charged I carefully moved the hoses. I used disposable nitrile gloves and threw them away after handling the sticky hoses. There was a little mess but not much syrup was lost.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Some of you guys are using way too much DE to charge and then filter your syrup. You should be using between 1 and 3 cups to charge a 7" press depending on the size of the press. When the press is charged you should then be using 1/5 to 1/2 cup of DE per gallon of syrup depending on how dirty it is. If you're unsure using a little more is better than using a little less.

I used a 10" press this season and used 9 cups to charge it. The manufacturer recommended 7 1/2 cups and because of the draw off situation that I was working with 9 cups worked better for me than 7 1/2 cups.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12