+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Content Down

Default Sugar Content Down

Wondering if anyone that has been able to boil how your sugar content is this year compared to years past. I have only boiled down 81 gallons but compared to my averages I was expecting 2-2.25 gallons of syrup. I ended up with 1.75. I know sugar content can vary from year to year. Thinking because of the drought last summer maybe the trees didn't get a chance to make as much sugar through photosynthesis as normal and thus lower sugar in the sap. Hopefully it will improve with the next runs....possibly late this week. Or maybe it is just an off year for my trees.

It looks like I am down about 30%. Is this all from the drought last fall?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by P7aler View Post
    Is this all from the drought last fall?
    The real answer is uncertain, but drought is a likely contributor. Ask again about a year from now.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Default NH

Summer 2019 - Dry
    Spring 2020 - Normal sugar
    Summer/Fall 2020 - Severe drought
    Spring 2021 - Normal Sugar
    Summer/Fall 2021 - Severe rains
    Spring 2022 - sugar off by 20%
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Hop Kiln Road View Post
    Summer 2019 - Dry
    Spring 2020 - Normal sugar
    Summer/Fall 2020 - Severe drought
    Spring 2021 - Normal Sugar
    Summer/Fall 2021 - Severe rains
    Spring 2022 - sugar off by 20%
    Basically the same pattern in MN. Wisconsin got all the rain last year.

Thankfully most of the state went from severe drought to near normal with fall rains and average snow. Last fall was weird with leaf drop - the leaves weere obviously smaller than previous years, barely any acorns from the oaks.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Both drought and long periods of rain/clouds have a similar result...reduced photosynthesis. The amount of photosyntetically active radiation (light useful by plants) on a sunny day might be 1400-1500 micromoles per meter squared per second. On a hazy day about 1/2 that. On a cloudy day 1/3 or less. Difference in photosynthesis (production of sugar) under those conditions is like a car engine with the accelerator floored (sunny), vs going steadily down the road at a moderate speed (hazy), vs idling (cloudy).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

It is interesting to hear what others are finding out across the state if we get to have much of a season. Hopefully they ran some today...will check in about an hour!

After boiling this weekend I am happy to say that my sugar went back up as I got way more finished product than expected! Hopefully this weeks collection will be as well although the warm temps may limit it.

Wierd, my experience was the opposite this year. in my neck of the state we had virtually zero rain last year from june-august, then a very little bit to kick off the fall, but not anything to break the drought. And my 2022 season was the highest average sugar content I have ever had!
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

Compared with years passed, our content was down. Our normal sugar content puts us in the 40-48gal to 1, this season it was 66-67 to 1. it goes down in the book, and i'll compare again next season. I guess you really need a weather station in each bush, recording sunlight, rainfall, temperature, and logging it all, then pop that into a database with the % sugar of every load you haul in. then maybe you could see a pattern, add in mast years, locust emergence, anything that might affect your area....but what i have seen it is highly localized just an hour west of me they are having a great year. my 2 cents, lol
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast