+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running longer laterals or mainline?

Default Running longer laterals or mainline?

Hey all, I've upped my (3/16) tubing game a bit over this season and with that comes the need to transport the additional sap from the current collection point I have back in the woods. If I wanted to move my collection point downhill further and across a creek, would I be better served to run another 100 feet of 3/16 for each line and achieve the additional vacuum or put my lines into a star-fitting (or a saddle) on a mainline that runs that remaining 100 feet to the new collection point across the creek?

We're very fortunate to have some significant slope down from one of the main stands of sugar maples in our woods but my runs all end at a location currently that is also either a very long, winding drive through the woods by UTV or else directly across what is a very muddy bog / creek this time of year then immediately up a wet, slippery slope.

I came pretty **** close to tipping over my UTV on one trip down that slope last week and that was WITHOUT a load of sap...
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

This would all depend on how much drop you have now on your current system. And also how much of drop would you be gaining by running individual 3/16th's line any further. The one thing about 3/16th's is if you have 40ft of drop from your tank to your last tap. Then yes the last tap would have 27 or 28 inches of mercury depending on your evaluation above sea-level. However if your closest tap to the tank only has 17ft of drop you may only be looking at 15 Hg. So if you continue to have drop then yes it would be worth it to run individual lines to gain vacuum on the lower taps. However if it doesn't then the mainline would be the way to go along with maybe a shurflow set-up or some type of vacuum set-up to help increase the vacuum levels in the lower taps. And also to move your collection point to an area with easier access.

Quote Originally Posted by Radnagel View Post
    This would all depend on how much drop you have now on your current system. And also how much of drop would you be gaining by running individual 3/16th's line any further. The one thing about 3/16th's is if you have 40ft of drop from your tank to your last tap. Then yes the last tap would have 27 or 28 inches of mercury depending on your evaluation above sea-level. However if your closest tap to the tank only has 17ft of drop you may only be looking at 15 Hg. So if you continue to have drop then yes it would be worth it to run individual lines to gain vacuum on the lower taps. However if it doesn't then the mainline would be the way to go along with maybe a shurflow set-up or some type of vacuum set-up to help increase the vacuum levels in the lower taps. And also to move your collection point to an area with easier access.
    Thanks, all good points - the bulk of taps on the line are well above the (current) low- and collection-point but there are enough taps along the way down that it would probably make sense to go ahead and extend the lines. It also looks far more economical to run extended 3/16" for each line vs. even just a single mainline for the set and all the necessary fitting and support wires and such.
    --

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

What is the slope from where the 3/16" currently ends to where you want it to end? 3/16" shouldn't be used on flat ground for much distance as the friction is too high.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    What is the slope from where the 3/16" currently ends to where you want it to end? 3/16" shouldn't be used on flat ground for much distance as the friction is too high.
    It is mostly straight downhill, there is a bit of a bog I would have to cross at the end but that would be coming from above (20' or so) so I think I'd be able to keep the tubing sloped.

I remember seeing somewhere that the more run of tubing you have "downill" of the taps the better since that is "pulling" the sap harder, is that true?
    --

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

If it is mostly downhill, continue with 3/16" line. This will result in good vacuum (as long as you keep in leak-free). Don't transition to mainline.

The more downhill you have before you reach the taps the better...up to the maximum vacuum achievable at your site given your elevation and tightness of system.

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/slope2018-2/
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    If it is mostly downhill, continue with 3/16" line. This will result in good vacuum (as long as you keep in leak-free). Don't transition to mainline.

The more downhill you have before you reach the taps the better...up to the maximum vacuum achievable at your site given your elevation and tightness of system.

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/slope2018-2/
    Cool, makes sense - very clear article, too. Appreciate it!
    --

+ Reply to Thread