+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mycorrhizal fungi and maple trees

A few rock walls down from where Andy hid the money for Red.

Default Mycorrhizal fungi and maple trees

Interesting article on mycorrhizal fungi effects on maple and oak trees.

https://www.ohio.edu/news/2020/02/sc...lation-forests

Very little information was known about mycorrhizal fungi before extensive research started roughly 10 years ago. Since then, there is a completely new understanding of how plants and trees interact with one another. It was always believed that plants and trees compete with each other which is true above the ground. Below, is a complete different story. As a lifelong horticulturist, I always thought of soil to be “alive“ in some capacity. It’s been known for a while that there is a symbiotic relationship between the fungi and the plants/trees sharing nutrients with one another. It recently has been discovered that it goes well beyond that. Plants and trees can exchange nutrients as well as vital information i.e. an oncoming attack from a pathogen. They are also capable of sharing antibodies to help fend off these attacks.
    Roughly 300 taps on a hybrid 3/16 gravity/Shurflo vacuum system.
    12x16 Solo build timber frame sugar house.
    RO Bucket RB-20 with 2nd booster pump(screaming for a coffee break)
    Mismatched Grimm Lighting(Vermont) 2x4 raised flue/ Small Brothers(Quebec) 3x3 syrup pan on modified oil tank arch.

“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Al

Interesting read. I listened to a podcast last year that discussed the same thing. I know oak trees are a valuable food resource and important for biodiversity, but as a sugarmaker and cabinetmaker I'm not a big fan of oak trees :-(
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

I wonder how much the Garlic Mustard invasive weed plays into this.

"Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata) has long been known to degrade mycorrhizal mutualisms in soils it invades and may also promote the abundance of microbial pathogens harmful to native plants or alter saprotrophic communities to disrupt nutrient cycling." from Invasive garlic mustard demonstrates stronger relationships with pathotrophic than mycorrhizal fungi

As much as I like Maple trees I think variety is healthier. With the Ash trees falling to the borer my woodlot is already changing noticeably.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

A few rock walls down from where Andy hid the money for Red.

Quote Originally Posted by red dorakeen View Post

As much as I like Maple trees I think variety is healthier. With the Ash trees falling to the borer my woodlot is already changing noticeably.
    My beloved Ash trees… I hired a Forester(highly recommend) to thin out my woods. He suggested pulling them all due to the ash borer. I was sad to see them go being it was my go to wood. Splits easily, good BTU output and low moisture content. I wound up keeping seven cords of full length logs for $360.

I was shocked when he told me that despite his efforts, most sugarbushes he has worked on wanted him to remove every tree with the exception of maples.

As the American chestnut is now making a comeback, so will the ash, just not likely in our lifetimes
    Roughly 300 taps on a hybrid 3/16 gravity/Shurflo vacuum system.
    12x16 Solo build timber frame sugar house.
    RO Bucket RB-20 with 2nd booster pump(screaming for a coffee break)
    Mismatched Grimm Lighting(Vermont) 2x4 raised flue/ Small Brothers(Quebec) 3x3 syrup pan on modified oil tank arch.

“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Al

+ Reply to Thread