+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum flow per tap

Buried pipe is at least 5’ down across a field. Where I will be driving over it in winter is closer to 7. Frost has not been a problem for 15 years or so. Pump line goes up over a hill and back down. Always has liquid in it. Two 3’ diameter by 2’ tall well tiles under old fishing shanty in the woods where releaser is. Pipes (vac and pump) go out under tiles. 2 three hundred watt heaters in shanty on a thermostat set to run only when deep well pump is not. At sugarhouse the line comes up through a 12 culvert into back compartment on a 2500 gallon milk truck tank. Heater in compartment.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Buried pipe is at least 5’ down across a field. Where I will be driving over it in winter is closer to 7. Frost has not been a problem for 15 years or so. Pump line goes up over a hill and back down. Always has liquid in it. Two 3’ diameter by 2’ tall well tiles under old fishing shanty in the woods where releaser is. Pipes (vac and pump) go out under tiles. 2 three hundred watt heaters in shanty on a thermostat set to run only when deep well pump is not. At sugarhouse the line comes up through a 12 culvert into back compartment on a 2500 gallon milk truck tank. Heater in compartment.
    It sounds like a well-thought-out system. As I've opined several times on different threads, underground needs to consider several issues (just like a waterline) which you have addressed. One of my biggest issues relates to having the exit from an underground system to be into a heated space. If one doesn't address this then they could be waiting for the frost to come out of the ground before the system works.

I'm also guessing that your sugarbush has a few less boulders (and no shallow bedrock) than mine. Therefore, my limited runs are in a pvc sleeve.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    It sounds like a well-thought-out system. As I've opined several times on different threads, underground needs to consider several issues (just like a waterline) which you have addressed. One of my biggest issues relates to having the exit from an underground system to be into a heated space. If one doesn't address this then they could be waiting for the frost to come out of the ground before the system works.

I'm also guessing that your sugarbush has a few less boulders (and no shallow bedrock) than mine. Therefore, my limited runs are in a pvc sleeve.

Ken
    Started with buried pump and vac lines and manual releaser. Gas pump. Had to wait to pump many days till lines into/out of ground thawed. Then I put in well tiles. Gas pump lived in there with insulated cover. Solved problem in woods but the line exiting ground would sometimes be froze when I wanted to pump. When I found there was a slow start 1/2 deep well pump that would run on 1600’ of 10 gauge it was a game changer but I knew that both ends had to be frost free at all times. Last year was first year and it worked almost flawlessly. Wish I had done it sooner. I do have a hotspot and wifi camera so I can check flows coming in releaser and temps/vac level. If vac is good I have skipped going to woods for several days. Used to be multiple trips to start pump.
    Last edited by wiam; 03-27-2022 at 04:32 PM.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12