+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom steam hood

Default Custom steam hood

I am looking for someone to build steam hood for my custom size flue pan (17" x 60") Any suggestions?
    17" x 32" syrup, 17" X 60" raised flue, Phaneauf.
    110 taps, all buckets,

I made mine from flashing material that I bent at home. A Siding installer could make one. I included a trough in the break shape to collect condensation. I installed the hood so it leans to one corner and drilled a hole in the trough. I have a bucket on the ground to collect the drips.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

A friend of mine used heavy duty vinyl, like air curtain door, and made it wider than his pan so all drips go in the floor trough around his evaporator.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

A few rock walls down from where Andy hid the money for Red.

It sounds like you’re asking for someone that has the skills to fabricate a hood for you but that could be anyone from a Tin Knocker to a handyman depending on the build. Having someone highly skilled in the trade will definitely give you a top quality product but at a premium price. You could follow any one of the home bills that have been suggested on this forum and have a handyman go at it for you.

I was able to put together a parallel flow preheater and hood this year for my 2 x 4 raised flue right before the season started. I used up a bunch of copper pipes, fittings and valves from previous construction sites I’ve worked on. I followed the instructions from the following build on mapleresearch.org with the exception of the drip pan. I was able to slap something together fast with some aluminum window cap and rivets and had it drain into the channel of the hood.

https://mapleresearch.org/wp-content.../preheater.pdf

The hood was built from galvanized cavity duct and the associated assembly components. The bends were made with a piece of angle iron and clamps. A small hammer was used to tap on the corners and sharpen them up. In the back corner is a 1/2” brass bulkhead fitting that was drilled with a step bit. Rivets were used to tie everything together and some small nuts and bolts in the areas where multiple pieces were joined. I ran out of time and didn’t have the correct solder for galvanized metal so I sealed up the channel around the hood with metal duct tape. No steam stack, just two openings facing the syrup pan. I can crack open the doors on the hood when things get really rolling to release more steam and still have scolding hot sap coming from the preheater. I’ll admit I was totally surprised how well it worked. Then I jumped right into a Injection air “bubbler” build at the 11th hour but we’ll save that for another thread.

Here’s a video of the build and all of it in action:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5CSPlxm-I94&feature=share
    Roughly 300 taps on a hybrid 3/16 gravity/Shurflo vacuum system.
    12x16 Solo build timber frame sugar house.
    RO Bucket RB-20 with 2nd booster pump(screaming for a coffee break)
    Mismatched Grimm Lighting(Vermont) 2x4 raised flue/ Small Brothers(Quebec) 3x3 syrup pan on modified oil tank arch.

“This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.” - Al

Contact A&A metal shop in Potter county PA they will do you a good job.

Gary,
    For local custom work Creekside Welding and Machine in Girard is a good source for this type of work. You will want a all stainless hood and pipe system for your nice rig! Dave Y. can do it!
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread