+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garden Shed in Summer, Sugar Shack in Winter?

A steam hood will be effective enough in a sugar hut to remove steam and prevent moisture buildup. In any case, with it, you will have much less moisture in the room than without it. In a sugar bowl, it is better to install a steam hood as low as possible above the evaporator in which the juice is boiled. And if the cap is also equipped with a powerful fan, then dryness and the absence of mold in your shed are guaranteed to you.

Picking up where I left off.

So this is happening. I'm converting the garden shed to a sugar shack.
    Once the new Evap arrives I should be able to figure out a stack fairly easily.

I am still thinking about power venting the steam hood out through the gable or sidewall of the shed through I'm guessing 8" or 12" vent pipe. While I understand this fan will see a lot of moisture, what have people used with success?
    I've use squirrel cage inline fans in other applications with good success. I'm guessing this fan will need to be fairly powerful the ensure the maximum amount of steam leaves through the hood.

I will also add a fan on the gable vents to keep any steam that escapes the hood vented out.

Any suggestions of experiences to share?

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Congratulations! Not a day goes by when I don't appreciate being inside for boils or any other sugaring work. The way you describe the the shack sounds fantastic.

Now, I have to give you some straight advice. Listen to the input you've already gotten from others. You will regret all the planning, work, resources, and power you are going to put into power venting the steam out. I strongly recommend you punch a second hole in your roof and let convection do all your work for you. Adding a steam hood and roof jack is about the simplest and most effective solution for your steam. The second best option is building a cupola - way more work, but also effective.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Very good advice. Thanks.

My personal issue is a loft that does not let me go straight up.
    I may be able to use a couple 45's to clear the floor of the loft and then straight up. I'll have to see once I have the evaporator and look at formally mocking up the pipe.

On that note, what is a good pipe for the steam hood, and what is a good pipe for the smoke stack? Single or double wall, stainless, black? Pros/Cons other than price? Source?

Thanks,

Bryan
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.

The steam pipe can be single wall pipe, but if you are dealing with a wood building double wall pipe at least for the chimney and follow all local laws for installation. It is better to go straight up thru the roof for the chimney as you will get a better draft. You will need to be at least above the roof by x the length of the evaporator.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Picked up the evaporator this weekend. I hope to have it in the shed the week after next, after traveling for work.

Steam hoods will vent straight up through the roof.

The chimney will go out the sidewall and up with double walled pipe. The arch is forced draft so I’m thinking it will adequate. I’ll review all fire tolerances and distances to combustibles as I don’t want to burn down the shed.

Very excited to get this started.

Any thoughts on putting the evaporator on a 4x8 of cement board as the floor is wood?

Bryan

I have mine on a wood floor. The bottom of the evaporator doesn't get very hot but I still have cement board under it. The most important place for the cement board is in front for embers coming out of the fire box when loading wood. I turn the blower off for 10-15 seconds before opening the door to let the fire calm down a bit first.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Default shed/sugar combo

I built a 10x14 shed (concrete floor), and when I started sugaring (3-4 gallons/year), I cut a hole in the roof for a triple-wall stove pipe. In the off season, I remove the pipe and nail a few shingles over the hole (no illegal sugarhouse here!) I also cut little flaps at the highest point of each gable end and hold those open with a long stick. I also cut a hole in one wall with a piece of plexiglass I can slide open. My evaporator is basically red brick, cinderblocks, some high-temp insulation, a couple pieces of steel plate, etc.
    Last edited by ScottyWelden; 09-06-2023 at 11:50 AM.
    2015: 17 taps, 2 gallons
    2016: 35 taps, 3.6 gallons
    2017: 60 taps, 2.7 gallons
    2018: 56 taps, 4.7 gallons

I went down a similar path last summer and purchased a 10x16 garden shed that I now split between storage and sugaring. I went with a cupola because I wanted the look, and it's worked out great. It does, however limit placement of the evaporator to a certain extent as the rafters are 24" on center and there are required clearances for the chimney. Things luckily worked out for me and it's been great to be indoors. My setup is on a wood floor, but the evaporator is up on patio blocks and I've mounted a piece of galvanized steel plate to the floor. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    Hey All,

I build up a beauty of a 12x16 Garden/Tractor shed a couple years ago, with a nice loft, electricity, windows and believe it or not, a couple doors. She is red with white trim... Very perrrrty.
    Every year when I'm out in the driveway boiling I start to thinking.... adding a smoke stack and a powered vent for steam removal would be eays.

So, I ask the question, given no cupola, would this work?

I've never used a steam hood, are they effective given they are powered?

I would love to have shelter, lights, a radio, etc.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan
    I know its an older thread BUT...

I use my 12 x 16 shed (2 years old now) to boil in as well. I bought it with a garage door on 1 end, and a double door on the side along with 2 small windows. I opted for no copula because i was worried about things falling on it from the area it is in. I haven't had any issues yet (I do have 2 small 4-6" vents at each end.) I have boiled with the garage door open, and last year I left it closed to see the difference. I brought a thermometer out with me, and it got up to 70 degrees in the shed with the doors closed and 1 window open!
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12