+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden Shed in Summer, Sugar Shack in Winter?

Default Garden Shed in Summer, Sugar Shack in Winter?

Hey All,

I build up a beauty of a 12x16 Garden/Tractor shed a couple years ago, with a nice loft, electricity, windows and believe it or not, a couple doors. She is red with white trim... Very perrrrty.
    Every year when I'm out in the driveway boiling I start to thinking.... adding a smoke stack and a powered vent for steam removal would be eays.

So, I ask the question, given no cupola, would this work?

I've never used a steam hood, are they effective given they are powered?

I would love to have shelter, lights, a radio, etc.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

I sort of used my sugar shack as storage on my property for a few years as it was the only shelter. I have since built another 12x16 gambrel shed and was able to move everything not related to sugaring into that.
    I did not have a steam hood and a the moisture from boiling caused a few issues, especially with anything metal. A lot of my tools got rusty real quick. I found storing things sensitive to moisture down low and not on the upper shelves or loft helped a lot. With a steam hood and powered vent i don't think you would have any issues with that. Having electricity and shelter from the elements would be worth the transition steps. Just make sure you keep good clearances to the shed itself and what's inside.

One important thing i learned was to store everything not sugaring related in the fall as if you were going to start boiling the next week. There is already enough to do when getting ready to sugar, having to re-arrange and empty your hoarding shed in the middle of February isn't ideal.
    Last edited by NhShaun; 03-22-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    .... adding a smoke stack and a powered vent for steam removal would be eays.
    Just be aware that not all fans will handle huge quantities of steam well.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

If you only want one hole in the roof, you should look at Smoky Lake's concentric exhaust. I have used it for about 4 years and really like it.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

If you're ok with a second hole in the roof, I think a steam hood and stainless stack going through the roof would be my choice.

With a tight fitting hood and stack, you'll pull most all of the steam up and out, and will also have the option to add a preheater under the hood with big gains is GPH.

A hood and preheater were the first two items I added to my Leader 2x6 and never regretted it.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Thanks all,

I’m going to take a good look at feasibility this summer. Moving the arch would be the biggest pain, but doable with some help.

I know being indoors would help a ton, as would a bigger RO and better pan.

Time to plan.
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

I have a similar question. We converted an old mini barn shed to a sugar shack out on our hunting property. No electricity. I use propane for my evaporator.

What is a good option for venting the steam? Can I get away with a few attic / roof vents? shopping.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScottT; 03-02-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    2021 - First year: 4 taps; Tapped too late; 4.5 gallons of sap
    2022 - 11 taps; 20 gallons of sap
    2023 - 23 taps. 3 gallons of syrup; founded TruNorth Maple Co.
    2024 - 26 (+10) taps; 4.5 gallons of syrup; added RO filter

The best way to get rid of steam is with hoods and a stack. nobody i have ever talked to regretted buying those items.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottT View Post
    I have a similar question. We converted an old mini barn shed to a sugar shack out on our hunting property. No electricity. I use propane for my evaporator.

What is a good option for venting the steam? Can I get away with a few attic / roof vents? Attachment 22967
    No way. I went with the cheap option of flaps I can open (same footprint as the pan). That works well enough, though it's still pretty steamy.

Here's what it looks like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wttXAauS4G8uJHzm9

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    Hey All,

I build up a beauty of a 12x16 Garden/Tractor shed a couple years ago, with a nice loft, electricity, windows and believe it or not, a couple doors. She is red with white trim... Very perrrrty.
    Every year when I'm out in the driveway boiling I start to thinking.... adding a smoke stack and a powered vent for steam removal would be eays.

So, I ask the question, given no cupola, would this work?

I've never used a steam hood, are they effective given they are powered?

I would love to have shelter, lights, a radio, etc.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryan
    Bryan, I have a 10 x 12 shed that I bought to use as a sugar shack. I also have a propane evaporator that I installed a double wall exhaust and went out the back of the shed versus the roof for the heat. I built a hood system to which I originally installed one power vent and vented it out one of the gable vents and quickly found it wasn't enough so I added another and went our the other gable vent.

One issue I have found was while it vented all of the steam with out an issue there was still condensation that dripped off of the fan motor. I built a shelf out of aluminum studs and used a water heater drain pan to catch the condensation and it runs down a hose to a bucket.

All in all it works very well and I am pleased with the air movement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast