+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A filtering Mystery

Folks,
    Could the OP's problem be that he is reheating the syrup too high (maybe above 200F) during canning?? Did the process / temps change from the clear syrup on the right to the cloudy syrup on the left??

Question on sugar sand:
    So If I have filtered syrup (clear at room temp) and I heat that syrup to 240F to make a confection, doesn't it produce additional sugar sand that will be in the value added product??
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Folks,
    1-Could the OP's problem be that he is reheating the syrup too high (maybe above 200F) during canning?? 2-Did the process / temps change from the clear syrup on the right to the cloudy syrup on the left??

Question on sugar sand:
    So If I have filtered syrup (clear at room temp) and I heat that syrup to 240F to make a confection, doesn't it produce additional sugar sand that will be in the value added product??
    Regards,
    Chris
    1)I never reheat it above 185.
    2)Nope, exact same process as last year.

I cleaned everything up yesterday since I had 60 gal of sap go bad on me this week (it got pretty warm here for a few days) and the trees are started to swell a bit. One thing I noticed is the bottom of my pan feels really rough, Im starting to think maybe I had more build up on the pan than other years. I usually don't do a full clean of the pan between boils but maybe that had something to do with it.
    Last edited by levic900rr; 03-27-2022 at 08:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123