+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A filtering Mystery

Default A filtering Mystery

Hi Folks! Im a back yarder here is my set up.

10 buckets, DIY RO and a 2x2' grimm finishing pan. I pull the pan and finish in the house.

My filtering process is:

Filter off the grimm pan through a synthetic cone filter lined with 3 "paper" cone filters.

I then finish it off in the kitchen (I dont have a hydrometer so I bring it to 221 on my Thermapen. I've done some testing with a friends hydrometer and this is typically the temp where it is just right)

Then I do the same filtering as I can it into Ball jars.

This has worked really well for several seasons now but this year I am getting a different result. Everything is cloudy, but not that "sandy" cloudy that settles out like I can't see ANY particles in the syrup its just "muddy" looking.

I did some research between last weekend and this weekends boil and I read a bunch about people canning too hot (I've never paid attention to the temp while bottling). So this weekend I was very careful to let the syrup cool down to below 190 before the final filter / bottle.

Same result. This is a picture of this years vs last years, exact same process.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iLatbsgPxQKHzfNC9

Any ideas?

If you have any de(diatomatious earth) add a little to your heated syrup before filtering through the cone filters. I've had this problem in the past and it seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    If you have any de(diatomatious earth) add a little to your heated syrup before filtering through the cone filters. I've had this problem in the past and it seems to help.
    @ levic900rr....yeah I've also had the odd batch of suspended nitre. Looks more like peach jam. Usually I just tried to reheat it and refilter. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it made no difference.

But curious about Ed R's solution...what does the diatomaceous earth do? Does it help settle the nitre?
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

The DE is then the filter, it traps the niter and helps to keep the niter from plugging the filter itself. DE is considered the best filter in the world. The felt or synthetic cone or flat filter and all pre-filters you are using just catch the DE which then filters the syrup. Be sure the use food grade DE, get it from a maple dealer (or a local maple producer), it comes in 40# bags and that size would last a backyarder for about 200 seasons or more. All you need is 1 cup for the first gal and 1/2 cup for each additional gal in a batch. Don't try to re-use, dispose of it (or spread it in your garden) after filtering a batch. If you filter another batch, start fresh.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

@ maple flats Thanks for the explanation, but how about setups that are much more primitive? I use paper coffee filters in stainless steel funnels. Pretty sure I have food grade DE.* So would I just put some (prob about a tsp or so) DE in the filter then run the syrup through it?
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

It helps for the same reason you use it in a filter press, to provide a proper/better filtering media. I've had issues in the past with brand new Orlon cones plus one or even 2 prefilters passing this ultra fine mud/sand. Adding a 3rd prefilter took care of the problem but slowed down filtering considerably. Adding de with just one prefilter was the ticket. If you have any of what I would consider normal course sugar sand during the season I've saved some of this in the freezer during the same year and added it to late season nonfiltering syrup and that has worked as well.

Thanks Ed R, Giving it a try now, with my salvage batch (which is just what it sounds like, the last few dregs of syrup-laden nitre that just won't filter out) and a single coffee filter with about 1 tsp DE in it.

Don't imagine that the DE also stops the filters from eating all your syrup too, or does it?
    Been tapping since 2008.

Interesting... I'm willing to give it a shot for sure, any idea why this just started happening? I've used this same filtration set up a few years without this result. I actually bought a new Orlon filter this year and used my old one for the second batch just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the new one. Looks like Ace Hardware carries food grade DE. I'll check it out and report back.

Every year I get the same thing. There is always one batch that won't filter. It plugs up the filter constantly and even what goes through is cloudy. It's usually at the end of the season but sometimes it happens early and goes away. I've learned not to fight it, and as soon as I see it plugging up the filters I quit and let the batch cool instead. Let it sit for a couple days and then pour off the top. I then re-heat and filter that with much better success.

Difficult filtering with late season syrup is common.
    You should be able to purchase 5-10 lb bags of DE from a maple dealer as many break down the big bags for smaller producers.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast