+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what's the actual rope?

Default what's the actual rope?

So, I know why syrup can get ropey from end of season contamination when not boiled quick enough. Just had this happen to the contents of the flue pan and float box I had sitting in buckets for only a day after the last boil of the season. Like others say, syrup tastes good, but a little snotty, so I guess a distiller can have it.

Anyway, the geek in me needs to know more than the 'why' it happens and exactly what it is Dr Tim, has this ever been studied to figure out what exactly the snotty composition actually is? Like is it some form of pectin that is created from metaboliziation of stuff, etc?

thanks!

It likely didn't cool fast enough and micro-organisms did their job.
    I had that happen just once. I had to clean my pans in mid boil, I shut down, drained the syrup pan into my draw off tank and proceeded to clean the syrup pan. I paid no attention to what concentrate was in the pre-heater. As I later learned, the pre-heater became a perfect breeding ground for micro-organisms and then as I resumed boiling they got worse and about 30-45 minutes later the entire syrup pan got very ropy. It took a lot of work and time to get things flowing properly again.
    I'm not qualified to show this as a study, but I did learn what not to do.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maple sap contains a good population of bacteria , among them the family lactobacillus ans the genus leuconostoc.
    They are always present to some extend , but conditions like a rise in temperature will make them more competitive and they will
    colonize to represent the majority of the flora.
    The slime they produce is metabolized from the sugar of the maple sap and is a complex form of a polysaccharide that serve them as a biofilm in which
    they integrate. Kefir grain used to ferment milk and or fruit juice produce the same kind of polysaccharide , known as "kefiran" , but to my knowledge the one
    from maple sap has no mame so far !!!!! or has as much names as the number of producers that will never forget it.
    Pierre
    200 taps on 3/16
    Single 4x40 RO
    A wife that understand the basic of sugar making and the complexities of the sugarmakers !!!
    And a good Shetland dog named Brix.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet spot maple addict View Post
    Maple sap contains a good population of bacteria , among them the family lactobacillus ans the genus leuconostoc.
    They are always present to some extend , but conditions like a rise in temperature will make them more competitive and they will
    colonize to represent the majority of the flora.
    The slime they produce is metabolized from the sugar of the maple sap and is a complex form of a polysaccharide that serve them as a biofilm in which
    they integrate. Kefir grain used to ferment milk and or fruit juice produce the same kind of polysaccharide , known as "kefiran" , but to my knowledge the one
    from maple sap has no mame so far !!!!! or has as much names as the number of producers that will never forget it.
    it reminds me of the toy called "slime" when I was a kid, but a little less viscous :P Im gonna let some sit in a bucket and see what happens over time just for the heck of it

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by sweet spot maple addict View Post
    All correct. More details can be found in this paper: https://mapleresearch.org/pub/1218ropy-2/
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I personally have not seen Rooney syrup but found this on You Tube: https://youtu.be/2yTELBmwoI8
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I seem to have had the same problem. The contents of my pan after draining and waiting for me to finish the process turned into a gooey mess. I would guess it was about 5 gallons of syrup when finished, so was not at syrup density when this happened. I suppose there is nothing to be done with this end of the season batch except to discard it (not sure where to dump it either). Once this process has occurred, what's the likelihood it can spread to bulk syrup, which was hot packed/sealed in 5 gallon buckets awaiting reheating, filtering and bottling/long term bulk storing?
    After the season, I also let the last of the sap spoil in the pan for a few months (for cleaning purposes), which is well on its way now.

First time for me, and my fault for not moving quickly to finish the batch.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 04-20-2022 at 01:15 PM.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

+ Reply to Thread