+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Collection tank to collection tank transfer idea

Default Collection tank to collection tank transfer idea

I have 2 collection points that are 1000 ft from each other with a knoll between. The main tank is a 4000 gallon tank with most of my taps on it. The second tank handles about 400 taps. I have electricity 30' from the 400 tap location. I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on how to build a good tank to tank transfer so I only have on collection point to pick up from.

Details:
    1000 distance between tanks.
    400 feet to top of knoll
    Elevation of smaller tank 1946'
    Elevation of main tank 1928'
    Elevation of top of knoll 1978'

My idea is to put a electric pump on the small tank with a float switch that I turn on when it is above freezing. It would have a check valve T/Y that drains on back pressure right at the pump. Not sure of the correct name of it but it would close off the drain side when pumping and when forward pressure stops open back up and allow the pipe to drain back out. It would need to have a vent at the top of the knoll to allow it to drain with a check valve there as well. My original idea was since the main tank is lower than the small tank once the pump got the sap that far a siphon would develop and suck the small tank empty but I don't think that 20 feet of elevation gain at 1000 feet would be dependable.

What would you recommend for a pump for this. Also what size line would you recommend. I could even do smaller diameter uphill with larger going downhill. The pump will be in a unheated area so it has to be set up to drain out when not in use.
    Millbrook Maple
    Catskill Mountains
    Saphouse - Somewhere in witness protection area.
    2.5 X 8 Smoky Lake pans on grimm oil fired arch
    RO - Ecochem with 2 codeline vessels and 2 MES vessels.
    2000-3000 Taps depends on the season.
    Always looking for more sap!

I don't have as far to go or as much to pump, but to me a submersible type pump would be the ticket. Either no check valve or drill a small hole in the standpipe just above the pump. No real worry about freeze unless the entire tank turns into a block.

For low head you could use a sump type pump. For high head an actual well type pump.

I'm hoping to come up with a 300 gallon or so tank with a built in sump for good evacuation and cleaning.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
    I don't have as far to go or as much to pump, but to me a submersible type pump would be the ticket. Either no check valve or drill a small hole in the standpipe just above the pump. No real worry about freeze unless the entire tank turns into a block.

For low head you could use a sump type pump. For high head an actual well type pump.

I'm hoping to come up with a 300 gallon or so tank with a built in sump for good evacuation and cleaning.
    Thanks for the reply. I might build a small enclosure to keep heat in it so I don't have to worry about freezing.
    Millbrook Maple
    Catskill Mountains

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by MillbrookMaple View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I might build a small enclosure to keep heat in it so I don't have to worry about freezing.
    A simple foam-lined box with a light-bulb (the old incandescent type, not fluorescent or LED) in it is often enough. You don't want it getting too warm.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

a small reverse slope releaser might work, or a cdl sap lift. then you can have just one system and one tank.
    key is to make it simple and less maintenance, and you will be more satisfied with the whole deal.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

That is a good idea. I'm looking into the sap lifter idea.
    Millbrook Maple
    Catskill Mountains

+ Reply to Thread