+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Right sized" backyard operation?

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    My first year I started really small. My second year I tripled the number of taps, and put a lot of time into improvements. Then my wife and I had a baby. We had some very frank discussions about time commitment! My third and fourth year I kept at it, but did scale things back quite a bit, and wound up having a lot of crazy days. I would work my regular job, take care of the baby, do chores in the evening, and then when my wife was going to bed, I'd hop in the car, drive two hours to the sugarbush, start collecting and boiling, and then drive home sometime in the wee hours. Also had a bunch of days when I worked "from home" on my computer while I boiled. That sorta worked, but both my work and my boiling were pretty suboptimal.

Now my daughter is a bit older, and I've got a bigger evaporator, things have settled down a bit and I can scale up. But I'm still cognizant of other time commitments, and I don't want to create too much friction with my wife and daughter. So I'm probably not getting any bigger for a while.

Gabe O
    Wow, I'm impressed / horrified that you even were able to balance that and a sugar bush 2 hours away...the only thing that has made this manageable for me is our trees have always been right on our property and I can slip out to collect (usually with a kid or two in tow) before dinner.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

Quote Originally Posted by KiO View Post
    I am in similar situation myself. Coaching hockey and trying to manage other things only leaves so much time. Boiling for three or four weeknights in a row takes a toll. I am a teacher as well so getting home earlier in the day helps somewhat. I have considered a more efficient set-up to save some time but then trying to justify the costs is hard to do. I am at my max capacity for now anyways and still have fun doing it but did have a few days this season where I asked myself if this is a fun hobby or a not... We all do the best we can in a way that works for us and our family and hopefully have fun doing it!
    Yeah, that is a good point...I have a certain amount into the hobby but making a big jump would also include a huge increase in spending on it. I've been able to snag deals along the way and for everything specific to mapl'ing (pans, RO, collection tanks, tubing...not including the Honda Pioneer side-by-side ha) I've been able to keep my investment under $1000 so far and really enjoy the experience.

What is getting me is the siren song of all those trees able to be tapped out in our 30 acre woods...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by littleTapper View Post
    I've settled on a nice setup that isn't too demanding, even with 32 taps being a 15-minute drive away. The RO changed things dramatically. nearly 100 taps on a 2x4 got to be a lot of boiling and there were a lot of nights stumbling back into the house very late at night and ruining wife/kid's sleep. Once I got the RO, I haven't adjusted what I have; feels right. Even weeknight boiling I can get through what was a lot of raw sap and get to bed at normal times. Made 28 gallons a couple years ago and last year and this year being worse; but still making plenty. Everything is paid for now and in the black on the setup; so that makes life easier too. Mostly tubing too; just 21 taps on buckets at the neighbor's.

Working from home the last two years really makes it easy too At least once we're back in the office, it'll only be 2 days/week.
    Even 15 minutes away is a big commitment, because then you're also factoring in the collection and transport effort. We are doing 100 taps on a 2x4 right now with a homemade (poorly insulated) arch and it is just on the line of manageable. I bet if I tightened up my setup and had a better location to boil it would make a huge difference. Maybe a little bit larger of an RO, like the RB20 or 25 from Carl at ROBucket.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by LMP Maple View Post
    When I first started up I bought my rig at the Maples Guys in Wilton. A guy that was there that day said don't go over 100 taps or you will be buried and it won't be fun anymore. I kind of scoffed at that at the time. That year I did close to 50 on buckets and it was manageable but I quickly saw his point. The nights of boiling till 1 am and trying to get to work for 5:30 took their toll. I have added taps over the years and the R/O is the only thing that lets me get above 50 taps. It's just too hard to work and make good stuff boiling raw sap. I don't let the sap sit till the weekends and the nights get long. For me it's not pushing it too much toward the end of the season. I set a realistic goal when I hit it if I still want to push I do if I am mentally out or work is starting to pick up I call it. No pressure and that has worked for me. When I start to say I hope it doesn't run too hard today I know I am ready to be done for the year. I love it and will do it as long as the powers that be let me but I know my limits.
    It sounds like you have a good setup, especially with the help from the neighbor and your schedule. Both of those help a lot. I often say if I could come home and the sap was there waiting for me I would be in a better place but the kids are not there yet and the neighbors think it's great until they realize all the work that goes into making this stuff. My advice is to get it to a comfortable level whatever that is and stick to that number. When you retire you can really blow it up!
    It does seem like the 100 tap marker is the loose tipping point between hobby and semi-hobby operation. We did 100 taps these last two seasons and it was still fun, still manageable. If I double that (like I've thought about) it will probably require an additional investment in RO, collection tanks, etc. to keep it from becoming an all-night thing on the weekends (which I'm not looking for at this point).

Totally agree about retirement...my wife has plans of moving down South at that point but I said she won't be seeing me February-April in that case.
    --

I have no idea how people that have a full time job and do 50 to 100 taps, keep up. I have 111 and I spend almost the entire day, every day doing something.

Now I only boiled once past supper and although I have bottled in the evening, most of my evenings are free. Your operations must be far more efficient than mine.

My credit to you all.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK_XJ View Post
    Hey, thanks for the invitation - I may take you up on that at some point in the off-season here. Sounds like you have a good setup, I would love to be making 20-30 gallons but right now a good year for us is 10.

Having a dedicated place to boil would make a huge difference, my experience is weather dependent so I basically have to hope for rain-free weekend days. I'm also not firing the evaporator on a set schedule like I should, there's just too much management of little hands. I do have the RO working in my favor, whih was a game changer. I also should do a better job of insulating my oil tank "arch"...right now I basically have some old hardened brick fashioned into a firebox and then two ceramic blankets propped up along the sides to avoid overheating the sides of the tank and having them bow out (ask me how I know that).
    Let me know whenever you might be able to come down!

I am a little bigger than most in this thread but way smaller than a lot of producers too.
    My suggestions:
    When Maple season its just that maple season, not much else or it will over whelm you.
    Keep improving your material handling systems. sap/ wood....
    Have things ready before the season
    Balance your operation size with your hours available. Do the math. 1 tap gravity = 1 quart syrup on a good year. 1 quart syrup = 10+ gallons of sap. A good run 1 gallon of sap per tap. An evaporator that will boil all your sap for that day in about 4 hrs. 100 taps= 100 gal /4 = evaporator boiling at 25 GPH.
    Try to have your boiling operation close to home. Haul the sap but be close to home with the sugarhouse if possible.
    Have fun!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 03-26-2022 at 02:16 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I have no idea how people that have a full time job and do 50 to 100 taps, keep up. I have 111 and I spend almost the entire day, every day doing something.

Now I only boiled once past supper and although I have bottled in the evening, most of my evenings are free. Your operations must be far more efficient than mine.

My credit to you all.
    Do you have any kind of RO? That was the game-changer for me...I started with two membranes, went to three and then finally 4. Each year I've had it I've added 25 taps from my original 25, which brought me over 100.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ADK_XJ View Post
    Do you have any kind of RO? That was the game-changer for me...I started with two membranes, went to three and then finally 4. Each year I've had it I've added 25 taps from my original 25, which brought me over 100.
    I built myself an RO, but the brand new aquatec pump never worked, so I am waiting for a replacement. That would definitely cut the boil time in half.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    I am a little bigger than most in this thread but way smaller than a lot of producers too.
    My suggestions:
    When Maple season its just that maple season, not much else or it will over whelm you.
    Keep improving your material handling systems. sap/ wood....
    Have things ready before the season
    Balance your operation size with your hours available. Do the math. 1 tap gravity = 1 quart syrup on a good year. 1 quart syrup = 10+ gallons of sap. A good run 1 gallon of sap per tap. An evaporator that will boil all your sap for that day in about 4 hrs. 100 taps= 100 gal /4 = evaporator boiling at 25 GPH.
    Try to have your boiling operation close to home. Haul the sap but be close to home with the sugarhouse if possible.
    Have fun!
    Keep boiling!
    Regards,
    Chris
    All good points...one of the things I've thought of doing is either increasing my RO or upgrading to a Smoky Lake 2x5 hybrid, which would still fit my oil tank arch but would do 25gph easy.
    --

+ Reply to Thread